Affordable laptop for thesis writing.

ElimRawne 15:33 20 Oct 14

Hi everyone!

I'm about to purchase a new laptop to write my thesis on. The old one's about to call quits so it's high time to buy a new one. My budget is about €400-500. I'd use this laptop for school work only, so it doesn't need a good graphics card. I'd love to have a laptop with:

• a great keyboard
  • the ability to (effictively) work with several word documents/internet tabs open.
  • good battery life
  • a laptop that isn't too small or too clunky and doesn't feel cheap and plastic-y
  • windows OS

Asus seems to have a few decent models in my price range, but I'm kind of worried they won't be any good. I'd like a laptop I can use for a few years.

Thanks in advance!

mole1944 08:05 21 Oct 14

And back up your thesis several time cos if you loose it it's gone and your going to be well fed up,i suggest mail it to yourself and save to a couple of pen drives.as for the laptop why not reinstall windowd to bring it back to when you baught it.

wee eddie 09:05 21 Oct 14

Don't forget to factor in the cost of a copy of MS Office. You can either buy a Student Version or use Office 365.

Almost anything available will be able to do what you have said you want and buying off the Net will save you money. However I would recommend visiting a local Store, preferably in the Town that you will be living in, and trying the Display Models.

As to length of use: I'm guessing that you are under 25 and therefor Peer Group pressure, rather than need, will fuel your need to upgrade at some time in the future, but you should be able to expect 3 - 8 years use from most Lappies currently available. All will be out of date within 6 months.

alanrwood 10:05 21 Oct 14

Alternatively instead of MS Office you could try Open Office or Libre Office. Both are free and compatible with MSWord formats.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5