Advice on using LCD Television as a Monitor

14all 23:02 16 Feb 08

Due to a very limited space I want to use a 15” or 17” LCD television to double as a PC monitor.

I have looked, as various specifications of LCD’s around the £159 price range including Toshiba, NEC Mitsubishi, Phillips and leaser know models stocked in Tesco and Asda and realise you get what you pay for.

Has any forum member had any experience of using a LCD Television in this way?

Regards

DieSse 00:09 17 Feb 08

You'd do better to find a moniotr that also performs as a TV - then it's use as a monitor won't be compromised.

Example :- click here

Stuartli 00:27 17 Feb 08

Monitors used as a TV or vice versa are, by nature, a compromise.

Better to buy a proper monitor (IMO) and fit a quality Freeview PCI TV card to your computer system - I have a Twinhan 3504 card which is also HD compatible, but it's now discontinued.

Other brands include Hauppauge, Compro, Pinnacle and KWorld.

merciarich 00:28 17 Feb 08

I bought a HD Ready TV (22") from Currys, it was an LG that also doubled up as a PC Monitor.

If your PC has a DVI connection, you can connect to your PC via that, giving you a crisper picture. If you haven't got DVI on your PC, the standard VGA leads are supplied in the boxes.

The LG one I bought was £199 and was really impressed with it

GaT7 00:34 17 Feb 08

I agree with the others - here's another monitor for just over £163 delivered click here (to get free delivery click here). Click on the Tech Specs tab to see the connections it has.

I know it's 19", but checkout the dimensions - 443 x 382 x 202.5 mm (WxHxD) - & see if you could squeeze it in. G

GaT7 00:37 17 Feb 08

Same one seems to be £161 delivered at click here.

Connections (from the Scan link):
1 x Audio Line-In
1 x AV In
1 x D-Sub
1 x DVI
1 x RF
1 x SCART

G

14all 01:10 17 Feb 08

Thank you all for all your replies.

I didn’t want to use the PC for viewing television programs as I have an office doubling as a single guest bedroom.

My Idea was, when a member of the family stays with us, everything to do with the computer is turned off and the monitor could be used as a stand alone TV. But as it’s been mentioned that it’s a compromise I’ll try to see if I can see an LCD TV running with a PC before buying one.

Thanks 14all

GaT7 01:25 17 Feb 08

"...everything to do with the computer is turned off and the monitor could be used as a stand alone TV." - the one I posted will do this - i think it has all the necessary connections, but let someone else confirm this. G

merciarich 03:00 17 Feb 08

You mean this one? Yes it would:

Connections (from the Scan link):
1 x Audio Line-In
1 x AV In
1 x D-Sub
1 x DVI
1 x RF
1 x SCART

laurie53 09:41 17 Feb 08

I have been using a 17" Phillips widescreen for some years, for similar reasons to you.

I've had absolutely no problems with it at all.

Don't know what it would be like over a top of the range monitor for serious gaming, but for my purposes it's perfect.

14all 18:19 17 Feb 08

Hi Crossbow7 and Laurie53

I will be checking out the models you have mentioned during the week I have just seen a 17” Phillips in a local retailer, at a decent price.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…