Advice on small compact desktop

bear73 14:53 10 Feb 07

Hi

We are about to convert our garage and space is going to be tight. We are hoping to fit a small desk in there with a desktop pc.

I was hoping for some recommendations of desktops that have small compact towers, I know some can be suspended under the desk using special brackets.

Problem is we don't have a whole load of cash so around the £400-£500 mark is what we want to spend. PC would be mainly used for general internet surfing and email. We don't do computer games or download a hell of a lot.

Any advice or recommendations appreciated.

Thanks
bear

Jackcoms 15:33 10 Feb 07

Does it have to be a desktop?

If you're a bit short on space, what about a laptop/notebook instead.

Unless you're into these silly graphics-intensive online games, the performance of many laptops is as good as desktops these days.

Totally-braindead 15:57 10 Feb 07

To be honest with you if you needs are as modest as that then any computer will do. Just have a look at the likes of PC World. As long as you're not into gaming then theres no need to go beserk and you could get something quite decent for that price perhaps incuding a cheap black and white laser printer as well as you can get then for about £70.
Heres an example click here there were 2 cheaper ones but you really want at least 512mb of memory, or maybe click here. Maybe consider a cheapest Novatech one click here £304.32 plus a monitor from £89 upwards depening on what you want click here and if you need a cheap to run printer something like this black and white laser one click here £72.16 Novatech total would be less than £400 for the computer and monitor and still less than £500 even if you added a printer.

Totally-braindead 15:59 10 Feb 07

The ones I gave links to are all standard towers but they don't take up that much space, you could put them under the desk for example, if space really is at a premium the perhaps Jackcoms suggestion is a better idea.

bear73 16:05 10 Feb 07

Thanks for the replies.

Jackcoms - I hadn't really considered a laptop, purely because the room is going to be used mainly as a playroom for my daughter and she is now using the pc and is used to desktops. I suppose she would adapt to the change. I'm not a huge fan of laptops but if space turns out to be that tight it could be a good option.

Totally-braindead - thanks for the reply. I know there are a lot of pc's out there for that price but I was specifically looking for ones that had small or very compact sized towers. Space is a huge issue!

Thanks
bear

wjrt 18:10 15 Feb 07
  v1asco 22:47 15 Feb 07

click here

see the above link for kinks to variuos dites with the Acer.

I got the Acer Aspire 2 weeks ago. It was £400 from Tescos including a 19" TFT.

It is very quiet, a little fan noise and the hard drive clicks away at times I think.

Cannot fault it, although if you read the reports on Acer service elsewhere that may be a draw back.

The actual box will fit inside a box file.

Performance seems fine, it passed the DOOM3 test and at last I am enjoying playing it.

A similar machine from Dell will be £700 and from acer £600.

v1asco 22:51 15 Feb 07

Also if you want a printer Staples are doing a Brother-115c for £50. Scan, stand alone copier, will make a4 sheets into posters and shrink pages down to fit on one page, as well as print. I have no idea about the ink consumption. Got a built in card reader as well.

Happy hunting.

v1asco 22:54 15 Feb 07

didn't realise his thread also pointed to the L100. To much of a rush.

Dell make some small towers which are worth looking at click here and click here

bear73 08:20 16 Feb 07

Great!

Thanks for all those tips. I will follow them up now.

Thanks for all your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now