//some 3rd party need geo

advice required

jonnytub 18:42 04 Jul 04

hi guys, i can normally be found in the helproom forum, i didn't know where else to turn and i know this isn't pc related, however i thought i'd ask the question anyway, i bought a hoover from littlewoods and the damn thing broke, i want my money back, less than 12 months old, can i expect my money back or do i have to contact the manufacturer as littlewoods have said to get it repaired, if the hoover company can't repair it then i'm told i can have my money back, where do i stand?

ed-o 19:06 04 Jul 04

I ain't no legal eagle but I think the contract is with littlewoods and not the company who made it. If it ain't working then it is up to littlewoods to sort out the repair, give you a new one or give you refund.

I would put this to littlewoods and see what response you have. They are many in consumer watch who have a grasp of consumer rights, lets hope some of these see it.

Well thats what I think.

jonnytub 19:56 04 Jul 04

thanks for the advice, bump

spuds 20:44 04 Jul 04

As ed-o suggested,it is for Littlewoods to sort out, as per the Sales of Goods Act, but usually it is much quicker to contact the manufacturer in cases like Hoover. I think that you will find that they have local agencies who cover their warranty work,and it is a case of taking it in to them for repair. If its a washing machine then the service agent will call at your registered address . Doubt if you have grounds for a refund,unless the machine is a couple of weeks old. Less than 12 months would suggest a well used machine, especially if its a carpet cleaner, which I imagine that's what you are suggesting.

Funny that you should mention Hoover.I was in my local Littlewoods/Index store the other day, and a man was having a right barny with the store manager. He wanted a full cash refund under the 16 days return policy [which the stores terms and conditions do not allow on cleaners]. Threats of Trading Standards were made, but the stores manager was having none of it, especially as the cleaner looked well and truly tried and tested.Manager plugged the cleaner into the mains and tried it out, and no problems showed up, in fact it cleaned the store carpet very well.Eventually the customer left the cleaner on the counter and walked out of the store.Whether he returned, I wouldn't know.

Forum Editor 22:21 04 Jul 04

Your contract was with Littlewoods, not with Hoover, and you must resolve the matter with them. You aren't automatically entitled to a full refund of your money unless the machine developed a fault within six months of purchase - and even then Littlewoods are entitled to opt to repair it.

It seems to mt that Littlewoods have said that they'll refund your money if the machine cannot be repaired, and that's a fair offer. Are you saying that they want you negotiate a repair with Hoover? If that's the case you should refuse - it's for them to do that - unless they have made arrangements with Hoover for you to contact them (Hoover) direct.

jonnytub 22:24 04 Jul 04

thanks for responses guys, i think i know where i stand now, quids out!!, never mind, (knew i should'a bought a bloody dyson)

TommyRed 22:32 04 Jul 04

I bought quite an expensive Hoover from Littlewoods with an extended warranty (thank god) I had the techie out once, the second time they replaced it with a new one. I've got the washing machine man out tomorrow morning, second time, you never know maybe I'll get a new one. TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…