Advice re. copyright laws, please

y_not 09:36 30 Aug 03

I am in the process of making a DVD which (hopefully) I intend selling to an Accrediting body for training purposes.

Within the DVD I would like to place a piece of video which is commercially available currently on VHS tape only. I understand the processes of converting this to DVD standard but my question is can I legally do this?

I have an idea that, provided that I purchase a copy of the VHS version and sell that with the DVD (so that the DVD version is, in effect the "backup copy") this is legal but I'm not sure.

Alternatively, can anyone point me toward a site (which I can't find) that may be able to answer the question.

Many thanks

mikef. 09:52 30 Aug 03

click here for info, my personal opinion, and I stress it is only my opinion, is you will be breaking copyright rules if you copy it onto DVD particularly if you are going to sell it.

y_not 10:52 30 Aug 03

Thanks for that, mikef.

I'll read through it and post again if I still have any questions

-pops- 11:50 30 Aug 03

If you have a good reason for using this material, ask the copyright holder for permission to use it. Very often you will get a positive response merely from the fact that you are publicising the material.

You will have to acknowledge the origin but that shouldn't be a hardship.

I've used copyrighted written material before and the authors have been only too pleased to cooperate.

spuds 13:43 30 Aug 03

Would do as pops suggests. Some authors are only to pleased to offer help and advice, especially if it will benefit all parties.A displayed acknowledgement is all that is usually required in most cases.Royalties may be required, if we are talking about substantial monetary gains.

spuds 13:47 30 Aug 03

Should have added: Do not use someone elses material, unless you have authority to use it.It can result in a severe rap on the knuckles or bank account, if the copyrighter is as legal support.

Forum Editor 17:11 31 Aug 03

for material that you intend to sell, unless you make some arrangement with the copyright holder about payment.

As a copyright holder myself I wouldn't agree to somebody earning money from work that I had created unless they paid me for it - the publicity value alone in such ircumstances is not worth much, if anything.

-pops- 17:37 31 Aug 03

Perhaps I should have added, I paid royalties on my use of copyrighted text.

y_not 21:39 31 Aug 03

Having had time to begin reading the link and given the additional posting (for which I thank you all) it seems right to contact the copyright holder (Caterpillar) and seek their permission before going futher.

With regard to the financial gain I doubt that its massive...perhaps a few thousand per year (with luck and a reasonable response)

Again many thanks to all of you - as they say two heads are.....

Peverelli 23:01 31 Aug 03

It's common sense. Think about it, if YOU created something and somebody used your creation to make money (even if your part was a very small percentage), wouldn't you expect to receive some of that profit. The law obliges you to seek permission of the copyright owner before using their work. Certainly, owning a video does not give you the right to use it for profit. You have the right to watch the video whenever you want to - but even making a copy is technically illegal.

Get the required permission and I wish you luck with your venture.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…