Advice re all-in-one computer please

Richardx 15:29 19 Nov 10

My eight year old Evesham desktop is about to give up and I have been looking at the various all-in-one computers that are available.

So if anyones got any advice / views on good models to consider or ones to avoid please shout up.

The Sony 24" looks nice but is expensive even with the cash back and I can't find any reviews on the new Dell Inspiron One 23. The Sony also have old processors (Core Duo or Quad) against the Dell's i-5.

Thanks,

Rich

GaT7 15:50 19 Nov 10

Looks good (similar discussion at click here).

What will you be using it for?

Here are a couple of discount coupons for the Dell One 23 (valid until midnight 24/11):

Order value £749 or more - 5%: WXVJPQS690VN96

Order value £899 or more - 10%: M114CXJDM18V0W

For small shortfalls, you can always add
something of low cost to meet the discount's eligibility price & still benefit. G

961 16:03 19 Nov 10

I've found Dell reliable and good value if you buy from the offers

click here

However I must say that all-in-ones seem to me to be extremely expensive when compared with desktops with similar spec. If you aren't absolutely desperate for small form factor could you consider

click here

I've found the Vostro range to be good value, well built and faultless in use. We have 3 in the family

Although I know Sony are big in laptops I think there is better value elsewhere so far as desktops go

961 16:09 19 Nov 10

I think you're right about the processors. I wouldn't consider Core Duo/Quad now

i3, i5, i7 is the range to go for.

Check delivery times, some of these processors can be in short supply unless the manufacturer is on the ball with his ordering from Intel

From the other thread the separate monitor can save a bundle if there is a fault because it can be replaced easily. Added to which a really good 24" costs peanuts these days

Richardx 16:16 19 Nov 10

Crossbow7,

Thanks, thats an interesting discussion on the link you provided.

Major problem with the Dell (for me) is that you can't see / play with it anywhere at the moment - none at Currys, PC World or Tesco - and their recent Dell One 19" didn't get very good reviews. So I'm not too keen on buying it blind. However, did that with a Dell laptop 18 months ago and its been fine.

Main uses: usual stuff re web/email/music. Lots of work with spreadsheets and need to have number of docs open and worked on at same time. Major use is for photo editing with CS5 and Light Shop.

Son will also use it for on-line gaming - Call of Duty, Medal of Honour and a number of other noisy games! Have also got FSX and add-ons, but it rarely gets used due to time

Richardx 16:20 19 Nov 10

Thanks, I'll have a look.

GaT7 16:34 19 Nov 10

For 3D games, I think you'll need more powerful graphics than what these AIOs come with pre-installed. But, as these are not very upgradeable, a desktop PC would be a much better choice. The latter is not only much more upgrade-friendly, but you'll also get more for your money.

Do some research on the graphics requirements for the games that will be played. The AIO's pre-installed graphics may well be good enough to play at certain settings, but you won't have the ability to upgrade to something better when more graphically-intensive games will be played in the future. G

bonefisherman1 11:30 24 Nov 10

I have an outstanding order for a Dell Inspiron One 23, touchscreen. After 14 days of waiting I have received email from Dell in Ireland saying that their Polish factory cannot build the 23" models until further notice. They have no screens at the factory and do not expect supplies for another month or more.

Yet the Dell websites, both here in france and in the UK, advertise delivery withing 2-3 days.

For info

ventanas 12:38 24 Nov 10

I've just bought an Acer Z5710. i5 proccessor and 4gb ram. It flies.

23" HD screen and HD sound. 512mb nVidia card, 500Gb hdd. As I store everything on external drives (3tb available) this is plenty big enough.
TV Tuner, wifi, webcam, bluetooth, card reader. Just about everything, except that the card reader won't accept CF cards, which is what three of my cameras use. But never mind, I love it.

ajm 20:15 24 Nov 10

Have you considered the Lenovo ( IBM ) IdeaCentre All in ones.

Recently puchased one for a client of mine and she was very impressed.

have a look click here

ajm 20:18 24 Nov 10

Further to my previous post, you havent told us what your budget is. The other option is an Apple iMac. Have a look and click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…