Advice to purchase the best Photo Printer

flycatcher1 15:37 09 Jul 14

My trusty Canon 4700 printer has given up the ghost and I am in the market for a replacement. My researches seem to indicate that nearly all printers are one "Three in One"s. I have a laser printer for b&w and a good photo scanner, all I want is a Photo Printer. Advice and experience would be appreciated.

Woolwell 17:29 09 Jul 14

They do exist but you have to search eg Canon Pixma iP7250. I have used Printer Base for my purchases and find that they have a good range and reasonable prices. The site includes help in choosing your right printer. Having found the selection you can then shop around for competitive prices.

tonyq 18:25 09 Jul 14

It depends on how much you wish to pay? I have the Canon Pixma iP7250 which I think is about £70 I bought mine which was on special offer at the time for £50, I find the printer to be good for general photos. Genuine Canon ink cartridges cost about £50 which I would advise if you want quality prints, if not I'm sure you can get compatible cartridges. Hope this is of help.

john bunyan 19:10 09 Jul 14

I agree with the others - I find the Canon range very good for photo printing; they usually have detachable print heads that could be cleaned if required.

Woolwell 19:35 09 Jul 14

My printers are more general purpose. For photo printing I use an on-line service which produces cheaper and superior quality prints to those I could do at home.

Al94 20:10 09 Jul 14

Woolwell has hit the nail on the head - a far better and more cost effective way to deal with photo printing!

flycatcher1 20:43 09 Jul 14

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I take the point about on-line service prints you are quite correct however, in the family I often get asked for a scan of an old photo together with two prints about "this" size.. Then the size is wrong and I do it again. A recent family album required over1500 prints and scans and two albums were wanted.

I know about the Canon iP7250 but reports are variable and I was hoping for a better option. My last two printers were Canon and I have found compatibles satisfactory. The latest price for the 7250 is about £54. I think that I will go ahead and buy it.

Woolwell 20:48 09 Jul 14

There are other options than that Canon. Depends on your budget.

HondaMan 10:04 10 Jul 14

If you're a serious photoprinter, think about a dye-sub printer. They will print up to A4 and just about everything from A6 up.

spuds 11:48 10 Jul 14

I have a combination of well known named printer's, most being the 3 or 4 in one type. The print quality as always been very acceptable, that is if you are not asking for spotless professional prints for an high class market.

The inks are the main consideration, but this can be a personal choice thing of what you use. I use compatibles from a good source, and have never been let down yet. My latest purchase (2 years ago) was a Brother DCP-135C was covers all my needs, and more besides. It was cheap, bought from Ryman's and came with a three year warranty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…