Advice please - which system is the better value?

Tycoben 21:00 07 Feb 05

Hi,

I'm planning to buy a new pc, and have a budget of £900 max and am trying to get the best value and most future proof system I can within that budget.

I play games, normally Riven/Myst series type, so want a good graphics card. I've investigated the custom-build route, but they seem to come up more expensive than the 'off the shelf' systems I can find online.

After much searching, I've narrowed the choice down to these 2 systems. I don't need a monitor, so am not interested in the quality of those offered.

What I would appreciate is input from people with a better understanding than I have as to which is the 'better' machine for the money.

Option 1: (approx £700 without monitor) click here

Option 2: (£899 with increase to 1Gb memory, no monitor) click here

Thank you very much for any and all help!

Tycoben.

TomJerry 12:08 08 Feb 05

but another one has better graphics card

decision, decision, maybe ask for a graphics card upgrade

as for "future proof" (personally think no such thing) another one has PCI-express

wjrt 12:16 08 Feb 05

mesh upgrade video to 6800gt for £160 seems better

freaky 20:32 08 Feb 05

Go for the Mesh, I got almost the same from them in December. Configured it myself without the Monitor for £789.

Great piece of kit, looks very nice and well made. Had no problems at all, worked OK straight out of the box.

I would suggest though, that you pay a little more and have the 1st years warranty On-Site as I have done.

Tycoben 20:49 08 Feb 05

Well, the consensus seems to be that the Mesh is better value.

Thank you all for your advice - your input was very helpful as I had reached the point of inertia and just couldn't decide which had the better spec for me.

I shall ring Mesh and find out what they'd charge for the system without monitor and with an upgrade in both graphics card and warranty.

If I'm still happy with the price, then I guess my decision is (finally) made.

Thanks again!

Tycoben

Starfox 20:55 08 Feb 05

The Evesham has the better graphics card but for games like Riven and the Myst series it will make little difference.

Problem will be if you decide to start playing the latest games such as Far Cry or Half Life 2, although the mesh card will play these games it will not be as good as the Evesham.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…