Advice on Norton Antivirus

Ronald226 18:01 22 May 04

I have been running Norton for almost a year now and the subscription service is comming to an end. I was fully satisfied with Norton upto around a month ago when it allowed malware onto my computer, and when I ran a virus check, did not even detect it as being a virus. I then downloaded a free system clean anti virus software from Trend Micro which detected and removed it. Can you please tell me how this could have happened and also whether or not I should stick with Norton or use a different internet security suite?
Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 18:55 22 May 04

I would suggest that you get one of the free AV programs; Avast or AVG. Avast is my personal favourite.

Symantec have a tool which will allow you to remove their product completely; I will do a search and post back a link if I can find it.

stalion 19:36 22 May 04

look here click here

Mister Splendid 20:54 22 May 04

Firstly malware is not a virus so an anti-virus program is not going to find it unless it has an extra facility to remove malware/spyware as an add-on. Like the program you downloaded from Trend Micro. The easy way to renew your Norton update subscription is simply to uninstall all your Norton software and then reinstall it, without registering. You will then get a new year of updates from the day you reinstall. This works with versions upto 2003, don't know about 2004 version.

mbp 21:35 22 May 04

Although Symantec have a remove tool, I used that first to remove my NIS. But having been clued in to use additional tools, I scanned with Registry First Aid (Trialware), using Symantec and then Norton as key words, and found tons of additional items to remove. Tghis was repeated several times till I was cleared of the litter in my Registry, and all safely and painlessly done, without too muc IT know-how. But please read each item and only delete that which you can clearly identify. Play safe and leave Shared items alone till you find out more about it.

I had planned to use Freeware AVG and Sygate, so considered a long term investment for Registry FA was well worth it as I could use it for other programs as well to keep my Registry clean and compact. But you will need something like this program to clean out programs like Norton or Incredimail.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…