Advice on new laptop?

essjay 14:30 07 Dec 07

Hi

I would appreciate some advice on a new laptop. After about 2 years and then 20 phone calls over the last 2 weeks PC World have finally agreed to write off my laptop. They are sending £420 in vouchers which should arrive shortly.

I had a lot of problems with my previous laptop shutting down (overheating according to the Tech Guys)

I had a Fujitsu Amilo D 7820.

I have looked on the PC World and Currys websites as I have to use the vouchers there and have found a couple of laptops. One is a Fujitsu again, but I am a bit wary due to the problems I had with the last one. Apart from shutting itself down I had no other problems and really liked it. The other is a Sony, but has a smaller hard drive.

SONY VGN-NR10E/S
Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor T2310
(1.46 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 1 MB Cache)
Genuine Windows Vista (R) Home Premium
2 GB Memory
160 GB Hard Drive
15.4" WXGA - X Black Widescreen Display
DVD ReWriter MultiDrive
Mobile Intel GMA X3100 Graphics Card
Wireless Enabled
Dark Silver Colour

Or

FUJITSU SIEMENS AMILO Li1718
Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor T2080
(1.73 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 1 MB Cache)
Genuine Widows Vista (R) Home Premium
2GB Memory
120GB Hard Drive
DVD ReWriter MultiDrive
15.4" BrightView Widescreen Dispalay
ATI Radion Xpress 200 M Graphics Card
Wireless Enabled
2.7kg Weight

I mainly use it for the internet and email, but can have several windows open at the same time. I also want to be able to store photos and documents for my family tree and along with the internet and email would probably have a family tree program running in the background. So I need it to be able to cope with quite a few things running at the same time - without overheating lol

I have tried to search for reviews and/or problems with these laptops but haven't come up with much. I wondered if anyone had any advice, ideas, suggestions or alternatives.

Many thanks

essjay

LegoTestPilot 15:46 07 Dec 07

Sony are well made, but are ogten under spec.
I would not touch the Fulitsu i dont like the make & have known to many problems with them,

What about this one?
Well made & good builds!
Toshiba Satellite P200-1EE LAPTOP Product Code: 070055 @ £699.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac