Advice on new internet security package, please

earthlover 14:56 16 May 08

Hi,
My Norton Internet Security subscription expires in a few days and I want to try a new product as my computer start-up takes about 10 minutes before I can actually start using it and I think this is because of the Norton check-ups, although the computer is very 'full' and I keep having to find space by deleting. I suppose I should back up stuff onto disks and lessen the amount of files that need scanning?

I looked at reviews and cannot decide on whether to try Kapersky, BitDefender or stay with Norton. Advice welcomed.

Also we have one desktop and two laptops. Would it be worth buying a package that serves 3 pc's? Can laptops count for the 3-pc's package?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:16 16 May 08

If these are home computers use AVG free or Avast with Spyware Terminator or Superantispyware. These are all free and will give you more protection than you will ever need. With the money saved by a back up drive and Acronis image which will be of much more use.
G

earthlover 15:31 16 May 08

Thanks for your reply, Gandalf.
I didn't see these on the PC Advisor reviews. I'll have a look now. I use Ad-aware at the moment alongside my Norton package. I feel nervous about using something that I don't know but I'll think about it. Do you use the products you mentioned?

961 15:35 16 May 08

I like Avast (free) anti virus for a home computer. Like Gandalf I can't see any need to pay

Spybot search and destroy, and Spywareblaster, both free are worthwhile

Zone Alarm (free) is a good firewall

Spyware Doctor via google pack (free) is also worthwhile

If you go this route, download the Norton removal tool and run this first

earthlover 15:54 16 May 08

Thanks 961. I'll look at your suggestions. Could you tell me how I get Spyware Doctor via google pack. I'm not quite sure what this entails. Thanks a lot.

Terry Brown 16:27 16 May 08

You will note that when you have removed Norton, your system will run noticeably faster.
Terry

birdface 16:38 16 May 08

click here Anti-virus either AVG or Avast. If you want to pay Nod32 is supposed to be the best.Firewall Comodo is one of the best freebies.You have Ad-aware all you need is maybe A Squared and SpywareBlaster.

spuds 16:54 16 May 08

You will find some of the above mentioned programs and other freewares from click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:12 16 May 08

I have used AVG for over 4 years and have never had a virus. For most of those years I never had as firewall. I do not use a spyware programme as I feel happy enough using AVG free and some common sense. There is a huge amount of nonsense talked about home computer security. I see many computers and the last time I had to deal with a virus was 3 years ago. IMHO, virus tests are a waste of space. Even NOD, which many have rated, has had a previous bashing I have used AVG for over 4 years and have never had a virus. For most of those years I never had as firewall. I do not use a spyware programme as I feel happy enough using AVG free and some common sense. There is a huge amount of nonsense and paranoia talked about home computer security. I see many computers and the last time I had to deal with a virus was 3 years ago. IMHO, virus tests are a waste of space, even NOD32 has had a previous bashing click here.

AVG and Avast have many users on this forum and I don't think that you will find anyone that has a bad word to say against them and the opinions of many are much better than any lab test.

Use a free AV, any of the 2 antispy progs and a little common sense and you will be fine. It is not as bad on teh Internet as some would have you believe.

As I wrote earlier, Acronis and an external HD will be of much more use and one day, these will save your life's work.

G

wjrt 17:45 16 May 08

click here
good info

961 19:27 16 May 08

Type spyware doctor into google and go from there

Although there is a paid version you can download a free version via the google pack

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…