Advice on New Graphics Card

Dark Knight 14:36 20 May 06

I am just about to embark on my first PC build from scratch. I have narrowed my mobo choice to one of the ASUS A8Ns, with appropriate processor possibly the 3800. My main concern however is what graphics card to pick. I am not too bothered about SLI and as the technology will be on the Mobo I would prefer to stick to PCI-E.

Ideally I would like to hook my digital video camera up to it - (the usb connection gives rubbish results) what would be the best way of doing this.

Pricewise I will put a guideline of ~ £200

DrScott 09:58 22 May 06

Posting this in the 'Upgrade Advisor' forum...

I'm not sure about hooking up video cameras directly into video cards, though the ATI Allinwonders might be able to do it.. they're fairly pricey though.

Of course, using a firewire connection might be better?

Are you thinking about games too? Or only for video manipulation?

Totally-braindead 13:38 22 May 06

I think Dark Knight you might be a bit confused as regarding what SLI is, appolgies if you do realise its just your posting gives me the impression you think SLI does not use PCI Express graphics cards.
I have an ASUS A8N-SLI deluxe motherboard. Now SLI consists of using 2 PCI Express graphics cards together, there is no need to do this if you don't want to, in fact I'm just using one and at the moment its fine but I may consider using the SLI, by adding another PCI Express card later. My board has Firewire built in and you could use this if you wish. I have no idea as the whether Firewire will give you a better result than USB. A friend of mine does his home videos using Firewire and personally I don't think the results are all that great. But he thinks they are brilliant. Perhaps a dedicated capture card may give the best results but I'll have to leave it up to others to answer that as I've no idea about this sort of thing.
Good luck.

Kate B 14:59 22 May 06

I think - though I could be wrong - that you have to use Nvidia cards with that mobo? It's set up for SLI, which is an Nvidia technology.

Dark Knight 18:46 22 May 06

.... and satuday afternoon concentration issue with my message. Let me try and rephrase the question

I am looking to build a new pc - The main reason for upgrade is to continue doing photo editing. The pictures from my new camera are significantly larger than the old - making editing sluggish. I would also like to dabble with video editing. Hence the need to replace the usb link. I do not play the latest graphics demanding games - only games I play are things such as Football Manager.

I know what SLI is but do not feel it would be of benefit to me and my requirements. correct me If I am wrong. Ideally I would like a mobo without SLI capacity as I don't see the benefit of paying extra for something I am unlikely to use. Any recommendations that fit that bill? (I would like to stick to PCI-E).

Personally I have identified nothing which completely fulfils my requirements therefore feel I my hands are tied and I should get something like the Asus A8N deluxe or Premium.

Then it comes to the graphics card which was the basis of my original question. Is there anything available which has the A/V sockets rather than S-Video or Firewire? If not is my only option to get a graphics card plus TV card? If so can you recommend a graphics card?

vinnyT 11:03 23 May 06

Kate B; he would only have to stick to nvidia if he wishes to use two cards.

He pointed out that he isn't interested in sli, so he can choose to use either nvidia or ati.

Mr Mistoffelees 17:59 23 May 06

You can get an Asus A8N-E without Sli and save a little money. I am using one and am very happy with it.

Mr Mistoffelees 18:04 23 May 06

USB or Firewire will only effect the data transfer rate between the camera and the PC. It will have no effect on the quality of the data.

Dark Knight 19:41 23 May 06

what is the best method (in terms of quality) for transferring video from camcorder to PC? a/v?

Mr Mistoffelees 09:00 24 May 06

You've got me there, perhaps someone else can help.

Bump^^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…