Advice needed plz regarding AMD Athlon

eg4am1 19:38 28 Mar 06

hi i just recently accidently bought a Compaq Presario SR1639UK with 17 inch lcd monitor.. i said accidently because i wasnt expecting to win it the system was up for £370 !! and i bid on it hoping that i wouldnt win, but guess what AINT I LUCKY. well long story short its an AMD ATHLON 64 3700+ and ihave no clue what so ever that if its good or not?? as i have never used AMD before. plus not that i have bought it people are saying that AMD athlon processor get heated really quickly slowing down the applications so i am reall worried. PLEASE ANSWER MY FOLLOWING QUESTIONS
1) WAS THIS A GOOD BUY (PRICE WISE)
2) SHOULD I KEEP IT OR SELL IT ?
3) ARE THESE PROCESSORS REALLY TEMPRATURE SENSITIVE ?
4) DOES ANY ONE WANT TO BUY IT ?? NAAH JUST JOKING ONLY 1ST THREE QUESTIONS ARE OF MY CONCERN.

please let me know about this
regards Asim

Stuartli 19:48 28 Mar 06

AMD CPUs do run at quite high temperatures (my Athlon XP 3200+ has a maximum figure of 85 degrees Celsius although normal operation is from about 46 to 57 degrees C).

The Bios is set to shut it off at 70 degrees C in the event of any problem with its big Gigabyte cooling fan.

Providing that you ensure that the CPU and system case is properly cooled you should need to worry about the normal operating temperature of the processor.

It sounds as though you have a good buy - enjoy it and don't worry...:-)

eg4am1 19:58 28 Mar 06

is there any way i can ad an extra fan or something to make it better ??

SG Atlantis® 20:20 28 Mar 06

I paid £830 in November for one of those and I'm typing on it right now.

Great machine and I'm getting kind of angry but more jealous of the price you got it for!!! lol.

It's a great machine.... LUCKY YOU!

My processor runs around 20C and upto 29 degrees under load. Don't belive what they are telling you about AMD temperatures, they are obvioulsy Intel "fanboys".

My machine flies along, and I do video and the missus plays games on it.

SG Atlantis® 20:24 28 Mar 06

The machine is well cooled, it has a coolermaster HS&F a fan at the front(pulls air in
) of the case one at the back (blows air out). and the left panel of the case has large grills in it for drawing in more air.

Stuartli 20:40 28 Mar 06

Those figures seem quite low - my former PentiumIII Socket 370 CPU ran slightly warmer than that...:-)

My Athlon XP 3200+ has a massive Gigabyte fan attached to it although it's on the minimum speed setting - running it at a faster speed doesn't make very much difference; the case cooling is efficient.

The temperature figures are provided by Everest Home Edition.

SG Atlantis® 20:42 28 Mar 06

that's what everest reports. I have checked the Bios a few times, deliberately rebooting to check and the highest its shown is about 27.

SG Atlantis® 20:46 28 Mar 06

just checked and it's at 17 degrees click here

Mr Mistoffelees 21:13 28 Mar 06

Having looked at your screenshot, I think it highly probable that Everest is misreporting the CPU temperature. either that or the sensor is misreporting. Try the monitoring program from your motherboard manufacturer, if one is available. I use Asus PC Probe.

Mr Mistoffelees 21:18 28 Mar 06

Everest reports 23C

Asus PC Probe reports 37C

PC Probe and the BIOS, when I check, come up with similar readings.

SG Atlantis® 21:29 28 Mar 06

Well it's an MSI board in a compaq and I just downloaded MSI corecentre and it says motherboard not supported.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac