Advice needed! - New Gaming PC for approx £1000

Luz 19:59 29 Oct 07

Hello!

I have been looking in the past few days on a lot of different sites and am still undecided about where to buy from and also what spec to go for...
So I am hoping you guys who obviously know a lot more about the exacts of all the jargon and what it means in true performance can give me some pointers!!!

I have found bundles on Evesham, MESH, Chillblast and a few others. The main differences seem to be the Processor, GFX card and memory.

I have read, but not really understood fully about the Intel Core 2 Duo versus Quad Core. For instance is an "Intel Core 2 E6750 processor overclocked to 3.0GHz" going to give better performance than "Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor (2.4GHz, 1066MHz, 8MB cache)" (any advice on duo vs quad in general would be welcome!!!..).

I dont need monitor, keyboard, speakers etc just the base unit. I have no idea how to build a PC so any installing etc to be done must be at the level of a novice!!!

At the moment I am considering from Chillblast:

click here

Intel Core 2 E6750 processor overclocked to 3.0GHz (CAN BE UPGRADED TO: Intel Core 2 Q6600 2.4GHz Quad Core for £50)
- Asus P5K Motherboard
- 2GB PC2-6400 Memory
- Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX 768MB PCIe Graphics
- 320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 Hard Disk
- Samsung 18x SATA Dual Layer DVD Burner
- Onboard high definition 8 channel audio (upgraded to Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio for £30)
- Corsair 620watt Modular PSU
- Coolermaster Mystique 631 Silver Aluminium Case
- Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit or 32bit
- 2 years collect and return warranty plus lifetime telephone support

Or

Xtreme GTS Quad Pro (minus monitor)
click here

Most of the other systems I have found are pretty similar. Any advice reccomendations etc woudl be welcome.

Thanks in advance. (and sorry if this post is a bit of a long one!!!)

aiskew 21:05 29 Oct 07

Hello Luz, I have recently done the same thing, I considered Mesh (but there reliability and after sales lets them down), Cube 247 (but they didn't reply to emails and phone calls- and I have seen several complaints recently on these forums about Cube), and Chillblast.
I opted for a Chillblast Fusion Centaur, which got a PCA award a while ago. I went for the 6600 quad, and upgraded to 4 gb of ram.
The only thing I am not too keen on is the Akasa case, but I can live with it.
The delivery took 2 1/2 weeks, and the sales chappy Martin was very helpful and quick to answer any queries.
It's running Vista Premium 32 bit, and so far the only thing I've done was to reseat some cards inside when it failed to boot once, just a bit of newness I think.
I think the specs and components Chillblast use are very good, and even the Akasa case is fine, it's just a bit fiddly if you want to do anything with it, such as replace drives etc. (Obviously this would be applicable to you if you go for the Coolermaster):)
Hope this helps

GaT7 21:12 29 Oct 07

Check out this Komplett PC click here (there are so many choices in the list!). It includes the quad-core Q6600 & is surprisingly £177(!?) less for a similar PC to the Chillblast you linked to - a configured example:

* Cooler Master Mystique 631, Black Steel
* Fortron/Source Epsilon 700W
* Asus P5K, P35, Socket-775
* Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (minus £56-57 for E6750)
* Corsair TWIN2X 6400C5DHX DDR2, 2048MB
* Point of View GeForce 8800GTX 768MB
* Samsung 320GB SATA2 16MB
* NEC DVD±RW burner AD-7170 IDE Black
* Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio
* Vista Home Premium Eng OEM DVD 32bit

Above spec is only £970 incl VAT & del (with cheapest del option), while your configured Chillblast is £1147 incl VAT & del.

Don't go for 4Gb unless you'll be getting a 64-bit OS. G

P.S. I won't comment on the Mesh PC as there may be many support issues to contend with in case something goes wrong.

I am Spartacus 21:50 29 Oct 07

I've got a Komplett custom build (bought in February this year) and am totally happy with it. It's put together professionally from quality parts.

I understand that if case you want isn't on the list they will get it for you although when I bought they had exactly what I wanted.

Although they have a depot in the UK they're based overseas and your PC will be shipped to you. In my case it was only 5 working days between order and delivery.

The warranty isn't collect and return so if you do have a problem you have to make the arrangements to get it back to them and then get postage refunded once they've confirmed a fault. I haven't had to do this.

I would definitely buy from them again.

GaT7 22:10 29 Oct 07

I am Spartacus, thanks for that. Regarding the warranty....I knew I missed something!

Where are they situated btw? Do you have to send it to their UK depot or overseas to have it repaired? Incredibly, they only charge 6.75 incl VAT to ship a new PC using ParcelForce.

I may buy from them next year if their prices are competitive & I'm lazy to build one. G

citadel 22:30 29 Oct 07

chillblast fusion stalker is the mid range choice in custom pc mag elite list.

I am Spartacus 23:39 29 Oct 07

UK Depot (Parcelforce WorldWide) is:

Komplett.co.uk
c/o PFWW
Siskin Parkway West,
Middlemarch Business Park
Coventry
CV98 9XX

They told me I'd return it to the UK depot if it developed a fault.

By my calculations my PC cost around £35 extra for them to assemble the parts for me.

They're very prompt at answering questions both pre and post sales. I usually had a reply within a couple of hours at most.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5