Advice needed on laptops.

rachwelian 20:54 29 Jul 07

I think it's finally time for me to get a new laptop. I've had my current one two years, and he's been through a lot. He was supplied with the wrong power cord, so I got second degree burns on my leg and the insides of the laptop got frazzled. (You may remember from a thread I started a few months ago) He's been breathing doghair for the past few months, and after I stupidly took it apart to clean him, he developed a rattle. Dad's kindly fixed the rattle, but now when I lift the screen to a large angle (anything over about 45/60 degrees), the screen turns off.

I know it may be possible to fix him, but I think it might be kinder to let him rest in peace, and upgrade to a super duper new swish laptop.

That's where I need the advice... Which is the right laptop for me? There's literally millions of laptops out there, and since I've only ever bought one, I' not really an expert...

I don't really care about all the 'boastable' features of the laptop, but I do expect it to do certain things...

- It needs to be running windows. Sorry, mac users, like you I prefer macs, but practicality means I need windows.

- I need to be able to do all the basic things like run photoshop whilst importing songs into itunes and surfing the net whilst having im conversations with six different people.

- Fairly nice hard disk size so I can keep all my music and pictures on there.

- Ideally I'd like it to be running XP, but I know that Vista is common on new stuff these days, so I guess I'll have to settle for vista...

As far as budget goes, I don't really want to spend more than £6/700 GBP...

I'm not *against* buying the laptop online, but I'd rather it be available in a UK store. That way, if it ever goes wrong, I have a real live person I can go and play the 'angry customer routine' for.

As far as make goes, I don't mind, as long as it works. I'd also like to be able to watch DVD's, which is something I haven't been able to do on my current laptop since the insides got frazzled by that same cable that burned me' leg...

Any advice is most welcome, including from the americans. You may not be able to comment on which shop to buy the thing from, but you're more than qualified to comment on which makes/models are best.

Thanks in advance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…