Advice needed

Stoneywood 15:41 21 Oct 08

I am with AOL Broad Band.
Recently I have endured reduced speeds of below 200Mb/s most evenings, between 19.00 and 22.00.
Daily speed about 1700-1900Mb/s.
I phoned AOL helpline twice on Friday.
1st guy altered my modom settings with no improvement.
In the evening I tried again, the same dumb questions, the same altered modom settings.
Neither would consider, what I consider to be the problem i.e. acceptable service during the day and unacceptable service at night and weekends.
Last night I tried "live help". (I really dont know why. I did'nt expect intellegence.)
I got the same dumb questions.
He just ignored and would not answer my questions, until he started asking me the same questions again.
I then asked for a supervisor and was offered a "slot" between 13.00 and 15.00 today when they would phone me. I am still waiting.
I am just about the point of changing to another ISP with all the hassle that entails.
Anyone got any idea what I should do next?
DGB

Clapton is God 15:48 21 Oct 08

Reduced speed in the evenings and at weekends isn't uncommon whichever ISP you're with.

It's all to do with contention ratios (the number of people trying to access the same BB 'pipe' from your local exchange) and, to a lesser extent, your distance from that exchange.

Having said that, a drop to 200Mb from 1700/1900Mb does seem rather on the high side.

Which BB speed tester are you using to arrive at your figures?

If you can't get any sense out of AOL switch to a proper ISP such as Tiscali.

Stoneywood 15:55 21 Oct 08

Two.

Dan Elwells BB speedtest and speedtest.net

Both give roughly the same results.

DGB

Stoneywood 15:56 21 Oct 08

>If you can't get any sense out of AOL<

Just how do you get any sense out of AOL?

Clapton is God 16:00 21 Oct 08

"Just how do you get any sense out of AOL?"

So, you know the solution then. Refer my post of 15:48.

MAJ 01:14 22 Oct 08

"switch to a proper ISP such as Tiscali"

Stoneywood, while I'm doubled up on the floor wetting myself laughing at that statement, go and check out Tiscali's forums to see how many of it's users are suffering worse speeds than yours and not only at certain times of the day.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…