Advice on most "bang for buck" upgrade

Jamesy 10:34 31 Mar 03

I'm looking to upgrade my old Mesh Athlon 2000+ based machine, give it a bit of a facelift.

The system specs are a 2000+ Athlon w/ 1GB PC2100 DDR RAM. But still, it feels sluggish sometimes. I imagine a better CPU would make most of an impact on my system performance, but I am not averse to the idea of ripping out the mobo and making it a P4 based system if you think that would be better.

I've been looking at the prices of the 3000 Athlon and P4 and they are too much, but would not mind spending around £200 on a new CPU.

Any recommendations?

Why not plump for a Athlon XP2700 (2.2Ghz) with a 333 FSB Cost of £207 Inc Vat click here

Upgrade the Ram to PC2700 and see what happens?

€dstow 11:02 31 Mar 03

A 2Gig CPU is fast by anyone's standardds and I can't help thinking there is something other than the system that is making you think it is slow.

Before you do anything expensive, you can quite often regain a lot of lost performance by cleaning out all the unwanted grot and rubbish.

Have a go at saving anything vital that you wish to keep and do a completely new, fresh installation of your operating system. I don't know how you do this with a Mesh if you don't have a disk with a real copy of the O/S on it, but it should be possible.

Aspman 13:02 31 Mar 03

What are you doing with this system?

As €dstow says you have a very powerful system as it is. It should chew through just about anything maybe except video work.

Aspman 13:03 31 Mar 03

I mean you can't get enough power for video yet.

Didn't quite read right above.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…