Advice on Lightweight and Small Laptop

Cormac_100 19:50 03 Jan 06

Hello there

I hope someone can help me.

I want to buy a very lightweight and small laptop. I have decided that a 12'1 inch screen is sufficient for my needs. I don't need to use it for anything too powerful - just word processing and internet.
I had a look in PC World today and saw the Phillips Freeline laptop. It seemed reasonably priced but I have some concerns about the manufacturer as I have never heard of them producing computers before.

My other option would be to buy a Dell - either a Latitude D410 or a X1. These are quite a bit more expensive so I was wondering is it worth it? I should also say that I need to use Windows XP Professional which doesn't come as standard with the Phillips so I'll have to buy that as an extra, while it is included in the price for the Dell.

Your advice/help would be most appreciated!

Thanks

Dizzy Bob 11:25 04 Jan 06

are, i believe produced exclusively for Dixons group. The unit itself looks very well specced for the price. The only limitation that i aware of is that the unit comes with 512MB RAM, but has no expansion port to increase the RAM.

Having said that, a similar spec unit from Toshiba (Libretto series) or Sony (S range or T Range) will be well into 4 figures.

I guess if you are likely to need more than 512MB RAM, look at the alternatives, if not, the Philips looks like a very good option.

Hope this helps.

DB

ade.h 14:57 04 Jan 06

click here

click here

click here

The last of those would be my choice, or the second if I was on a more limited budget. Don't spend much less that that on an ultra-portable.

ade.h 15:01 04 Jan 06

And if you are thinking about particular brands, you can probably overlook Acer (iffy reliability and backup) and Samsung (iffy screens and flexible chassis).

luap481 00:12 06 Jan 06

phillips laptops are very good i cant recommend them enough as a former employee on the helplines of all laptops being sold the laptop sold by phillips i only had 1 phone call for a problem wilth them wasnt even a hw problem seem to be very reliable

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…