Advice on laptop purchasing needed

Ben-1437094 19:38 29 Mar 10

After reconnecting my pc to the internet after a 6 year absence (I've been using work laptops), and discovering that I might as well be dipping a feather in some ink, I've decided that it's time to buy a new laptop. Trouble is I have no idea what to buy. I'm looking for a machine that won't need replacing for a while, running windows 7 and the student office suite, but beyond that I have no clue what to look for. I don't game much/at all, but if I do it tends to be football manager, so enough oomph to grind through all those databases would be good.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Maximum budget is £500 including software.

Thanks in advance.

chub_tor 10:26 30 Mar 10

Here is a good guide to reliability click here and this click here#$=&xcUI=profile=neutralprofile;&_696 should be the Toshiba Help me Choose page.

chub_tor 10:28 30 Mar 10

Toshiba link click here#$=&&_4ia

ame 13:57 30 Mar 10

This site click here does laptop reviews and you can compare CPU and graphic card speeds, game performance, etc.

ame 14:14 30 Mar 10

Dell deals worth looking at click here e.g. Dell Studio 15, and you can no doubt compare it to the Toshiba, Sony, Asus etc prices (normally more expensive, but you get what you pay for in terms of quality and after-sales service)

michaelw 09:17 31 Mar 10

I bought a Compaq Presario CQ71-235sa, Intel® Pentium® Dual Core T4200 Processor, 17.3" HD Screen, Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, DVD Rewriter, Integrated Graphics, for £430. click here

The Kestrel 16:46 31 Mar 10

My son has just ordered this Dell laptop click here. Seems a really good price for a new Intel i5 core machine.

Ben-1437094 18:23 31 Mar 10

Many thanks for the replies. I'll have a proper poke through everything when the school term ends (tomorrow!). Plus it's my birthday in a couple of days, so maybe if I'm lucky someone has listened to the huge number of hints I've been dropping...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…