advice on fence painting please

sunnystaines 10:01 07 Dec 14

last year painted our wooden fence though it strange the paint seemed to attract insects rather than repel them, But now getting patch's of a yellow green fine algae on the fence. does this mean it need repainting or scrubbing off.

had used cuprinol ducksback harvest brown fence paint from B&Q

BT 12:25 07 Dec 14

Lots of greenish mould growths on local fences around here too. Probably a good wash down with a pressure washer will clean it up.

I cleaned the PVC on my Conservatory last week and there was a huge amount of green mould/algae on the underside of the guttering which I haven't had before. Cleaned it all with PVC cleaner followed by soapy water and a final hose down. Its sparkling now !

spuds 12:27 07 Dec 14

Cuprinol is a very well known brand, so I guess that the problem is the result of previous preparation, or perhaps having the fence near other foliage.

What I would suggest is to get in touch with Cuprinol and ask their advice, before commencing further. Whatever the case, its the wrong time of year to consider repainting or spraying a fence. Cuprinol information and contact details click here

Batch 15:45 07 Dec 14

I use Creocote (Wickes) - modern equivalent of Creosote and it smell the same (bootiful).

Never could get on with these modern coatings. Sit on the surface, peel off and dreadful colours.

sunnystaines 15:53 07 Dec 14

thanks everyone for the useful answers, the water still beads on the unaffected parts of the fence, on a trellis in parts it has peeled off no idea what causes that unless birds peck it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…