Advice on Canon EOS Rebel XT/350D

beqa 01:08 28 Mar 05

I'm looking at changing from my film based Canon EOS 500 to a digital version. Is the 350D a later improved version of the 300D, or are there any hiccups with it?

It's Me 12:11 28 Mar 05

According to a report I read this morning,the 350D is the latest edition, following the 300D. Other than that I know nothing about it. The 300D, is, according to a relative, a superb replacement for a film SLR.

The 350D bridges the gap between the 300D and the 20D. It has an the majority of the 20D features but in a more modest frame. 8mp, ETTLII, 4-5fps, ISO 320 etc. Have a look on dpreview.com (especially in the forums).

I have had a 20D fro a couple of months now and it continues to blow me away, there is no reason why you should not get professional quality images from a 350D.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:15 28 Mar 05

click here and click on 'in depth preview article'.

G

Bebee 08:06 29 Mar 05

I have had a 350D for a couple of weeks, although have not had as much time to try it out as I'd like. It is a superb camera. The automatic options are reliable and the for more flexibility you can set a a range of options, including manual. I have found it comfortable to handle, with all the settings easy to reach, and the quality of the image is excellent.

The review GANDALF <|:-)> suggested gives some comparison with the 300D and will tell you everything about the camera. I think you will be able to use any Canon SLR lenses you have (worth checking) - I had the disadvantage of having to add lenses. It has some upgrades on the 300D, besides the pixel count, but these are not major and may matter more to some than others. If you have a collection of lenses you can get some cheap body only deals on the 300D - £399 from 7dayshop. I certainly haven't regretted the 350D though.

If you are going digital and haven't already been scanning and printing you will need a good quality printer and photo paper.

Brett

pauldonovan 10:12 29 Mar 05

.. Canon EF lenses or the new EF-S lenses. There's a 300D/350D forum on the dpreview site that Gandalf linked to. I'd thoroughly recommend it.

When you get it and get used to it, I'd also recommend the canon talk forum challenge (published on the dpreview canon forum) which is based at click here

It is a great way to improve photography skills.

I've had a 300D for about a year and love it. The only thing I don't like about it is the plasticy silver body, i'd love a 20D but I don't get to take enough pictures to warrant it.

I can recommend the 580EX flash if you're looking for accessories for it also. With the 350D it does ETTL II so it will take into account the Crop Factor (1.6x) of the camera and also I believe the distance of the subject/focal length (I forget which) when setting flash.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now