Advice for buying a convertible 15 inch laptop

zoesadams89 20:32 09 Jun 15

Help needed please! I am trying to buy a convertible 15 inch laptop.
I will mainly be using this for my accounting business which I am about to start, therefore it needs to be able to run accounting programs (not sure which yet) and be able to handle large spreadsheets.
The reason for the larger size is also because I usually work in large spreadsheets therefore a large screen will help.
Any recommendations welcome please? Any question just ask! Thank you

bumpkin 20:57 09 Jun 15

what do you mean by convertible.

zoesadams89 11:46 10 Jun 15

By this I mean 2 in 1. Where the laptop converts to a tablet as well

john bunyan 12:15 10 Jun 15

I had a look at a few of these. There is an issue with potential repair costs. For an older (say) 15.5in Toshiba Satellite you could get a replacement keyboard for about £25 and a screen for about £75. Newer laptops seem increasingly to have non DIY keyboards , an a touchscreen (as opposed to a non touch is about £4oo! A way around tis is to par about £9 a month insurance. I , personally, do not like touch screens for normal PC work but I saw this in Pc world, and it seems to fit your needs. (No DVD drive)

Lenovo

john bunyan 12:16 10 Jun 15

par = Pay!!

zoesadams89 21:53 10 Jun 15

Thank you for your help John. Much appreciated! Why do you not like the touch screen options may I ask?
Thanks

john bunyan 08:38 11 Jun 15

For a tablet , fine. My use of a PC is for normal browsing, music (including some editing) photography (Photoshop) , where a mouse is needed. My concern is also with the cost of replacement if damaged - say £75 for a normal versus £400 for a touch screen. If you particularly like a touch screen, as some do, fine. If the "Tablet" is the important part for you, then clearly a touch screen is good. Your preamble talked of accounting and spread sheets so I assumed that a normal screen would be fine.

wee eddie 10:59 11 Jun 15

Just a thought. If a potential client saw you arrive with a Tablet. Might he not consider that the time he was paying you for might be spent on it rather than his accounts. It might lose you a contract or two. Not something a new business can afford!

wee eddie 11:04 11 Jun 15

Addendum: If I walked into my Accountant's Office and saw someone playing Angry Birds or on Facebook. I would certainly be querying the £50 an hour he was charging for their time!

zoesadams89 19:27 11 Jun 15

Thank you all

I was thinking more that it is good for presentations in a small environment. And presenting data for two people to easily see.

wee eddie 21:45 11 Jun 15

Unless it has two screens, I can see no advantage.

You would be better looking for a Lappy that has a screen with a wide viewing angle and a non-reflective coating.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…