Advent T9202 - my ideal pc

grumpy-git 00:59 02 Dec 04

Many of you will remember the problems I had with a new computer over the past few months, it was eventually returned for a full refund. I was dreading the thought of the same thing happening with another new computer and never thought I would find just what I wanted as a stock item in a shop.

Anyway, finally got what I wanted from PCWorld. Large amount of storage is important to me & I was surprised to find one which comes with 2x200gb hard drives. With 1024mb ram & all the necessary hardware fitted as standard, I can now use it as a replacement for the old video recorder, and edit my vhs tapes & transfer them to dvd. This was something that the "other" pc should have done, I had even specified it in my correspondence to their sales department, but it never worked properly & wouldn't play to the tv via the tv-out connection

My photo collection of 50,000 images has been transferred to the new pc without problems, it doesn't crash, and with a 19" screen I can now spend the dark winter nights happily cataloguing & editing the photos.

Having bought it just over a week ago, before the £100 off offer had closed, it worked out much cheaper than the "other" pc, and has double the memory & larger monitor.

So, all's well that ends well.

"'appy chappy" (formerly known as Grumpy-Git)

Diodorus Siculus 08:55 02 Dec 04

Good news - be sure to keep us informed as to its progress and remain a "'appy chappy"!

TomJerry 10:17 02 Dec 04

your photos and videos are great value to you.

2x200gb is great, but HDD do fail from time to time.

grumpy-git 13:29 02 Dec 04

Diodorus Siculus,
Thanks, and it's great to have a quiet pc that doesn't drown the sound of the tv. At times we almost forget it is switched on. It does rev up a bit if the cpu is working hard though.

TomJerry,
No probs on back up, I have a LaCie 250gb external drive and an Icy Box enclosure containing a 160gb drive. All my photos are also backed up onto dvd, as are any important videos I am working on. I also run PowerQuest DataKeeper every few days to take care of other files

'appy chappy (G-G)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…