ADSL router recommendations

Handy Spinner 16:56 21 Nov 04

Broadband is finally coming to my area. In readiness for the big day, I plan to set up a router and network the two house computers while sharing the high speed connection.

I do need, however, some suggestions as to which router would be suitable. The maximum download speed will be either 256k or 512k, if that's any help. I plan to use patch cables to connect them (that's a given).

Thanks in advance for the advice,

Handy Spinner

TomJerry 18:28 21 Nov 04

just my experience, you can also read other users comments

Ebuyer 4 Port ADSL Modem Router £29.99 click here

Forum Editor 19:12 21 Nov 04
  961 19:20 21 Nov 04

I'm in the same situation as Handy Spinner.

Going on from FE's suggestion, can he say something about the choice when one does not want wireless capability, but is interested in competent firewall protection?

I've been looking at Draytek 2500/2600 but any other suggestions would be welcome

Handy Spinner 13:08 22 Nov 04

TomJerry - that looks like a possibility. As 961 asks, what's it like regarding Firewall protection, or is it simply best to have individual firewalls on each computer?

FE - thanks, but I am definitely going to be using patch cables for this time.

TomJerry 14:12 22 Nov 04

firewall is not supported when I got mine, but late firmware upgrade can add firewall function on. Firmware flash is very easy and a lot of help from users forum in case it gone pear shape. Personally, I do not like hardware firewall because it is difficult to configure, software one is easy to control. By the way, one neat trick of using any router with NAT (network address translation) is to direct all incoming traffic to a nonexist net address in your local net.

Handy Spinner 15:36 22 Nov 04

Looks like that'll be the one to go for then.

Thanks for all your help!

Handy Spinner

fitcher 19:09 22 Nov 04

the simple routers given by all the broadband isps are excelent ,I have just removed my adsl wireless router that I paid a lot of money for ,, and put back in my pc my frog.. I was given free by my isp ,now there is all this talk about ethernet connected modems ,but I think ethernet pc connection from the modem is slower than a usb 2 connected one . I was getting a poor a hundred akps with the ethernet modem ,and nearly five hundred with my free speedtouch frog ..maybe I will use it again ,when I can afford a laptop

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…