ADSL Broadband - dreadful!

merciarich 20:38 21 Mar 08

Hey there guys

Have just moved house and am having difficulty in getting a reasonable speed internet connection supplied to my property.

Am 2km approx from the town exchange, I know this affects the speed but after doing a speed test via BT's website (test provided by BT Wholesale), they quote that I wont be able to get a speed over 512kb/per sec

In the age where o2 provide 24mb/per sec and Virgin trialing 50mb/per sec, why do I have to put up with such a disappointing speed?

Anyone with any ideas with what I can do?

I have just set the BT Line up, has been activated now for 48 hours and has no faults.

I would like a good speed, would settle for 3/4mb per sec

Any suggestions welcome, thanks guys

Clapton is God 21:00 21 Mar 08

"why do I have to put up with such a disappointing speed?"

Because, as BT have said, their exchange is only enabled for up to 512 kbps.

"Anyone with any ideas with what I can do?"

Move to a cable provider.

harps1h 21:23 21 Mar 08

"Because, as BT have said, their exchange is only enabled for up to 512 kbps"

what BT said was he was only capable of getting 512, that is not to say that the exchange can only offer that speed.

to see what your exchange is enabled for go to click here

there you will get all the info you need.

a lot of the time the line does not run as the crow flies, so although you are only 2km away from the exchange, the line length maybe for instance 6 km.

there is another way to check your speed, go to click here there you will find other providors where you will be able to test what they can offer you as a speed. it maybe the same or maybe faster.

to give an example, i was with tiscali and on an 8mb connection i was getting 0.10-0.5 mb speed (i live 60 seconds from the exchange), changed providor and jumped directly up to nearly 8mb.

see how it goes

merciarich 23:23 22 Mar 08

harps1h,

Many thanks for the useful reply. I have already used the SamKnows link but will take a look at the second link.

Clapton is god: Would have gone to Cable but unfortunately Virgin dont seem to want to cable new build estates.......

harps1h 10:08 23 Mar 08

i should just add that tiscali also promised the same speeds but could not deliver due to their bandwidth being highly contended. the company i use although more expensive are rock solid and are listed 3rd in the list at the link i provided. the added advantage of having a rolling monthly contract and an england based helpline sold them to me and have had no regrets so far.

Arnie 14:14 24 Mar 08

Is this the link you intended to show?

click here

harps1h 19:16 24 Mar 08

yes

jarani 22:45 24 Mar 08

xxx

Arnie 01:05 25 Mar 08

A good site, thanks.

ronalddonald 06:27 03 Jun 08

cancel your provider with ADSLand use 3 mobile you can get 3.6Mbs. click here

harps1h 23:28 03 Jun 08

how can you be so sure? i wouldn't make a rash promise such as that!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…