Adobe taking over the world?

HighTower 17:14 23 May 07

Anybody else a little uncomfortable with the hold on the market that Adobe has now?

I used to use Macromedia Dreamweaver, Adobe Photoshop and a set of Dreamweaver extensions buy an excellent company called Interakt. I would also use Freehand for my print work now and then.

Now it's all Adobe as they have merged with Macromedia and bought out Interakt, marketing their extensions as the Adobe Developer Toolbox.

I agree that they are all great products, but I think that competition is healthy. I just can't see anyone out there to really touch the Adobe guys now or in the medium term future.

Any opinions?

Jackcoms 19:17 23 May 07

"Adobe taking over the world?" you ask.

No, Microsoft have already done that.

HighTower 19:59 23 May 07

Yes, I was actually thinking of Microsoft when I wrote the first post! There are definitely some similarities there.

Totally-braindead 20:17 23 May 07

The problem is for this sort of professional software, which lets face it is extremely complicated and time consumming to create, its expensive for anyone else to create something even close to it.
In that way its similar to Microsofts hold on the operating system market.
And I must admit I don't have any of their programs as A I can't afford them and B I don't need them. But they are from what I understand the best at what they do.
I presume you agree or you wouldn't be using them, certainly if there was an as good cheaper alternative.

HighTower 20:29 23 May 07

Yes, I think that without question they are the best at what they do and I do use them because of that, but I can't help but think that I would prefer it if the best packages were spread around a couple of different companies just to keep them all on their toes.

A bit like how it used to be when Macromedia and Adobe were competing businesses.

oresome 21:49 23 May 07

I read an article in the paper the other day where someone said it was easier to write a cheque than develop software.

I expect Adobe wanted to broaden it's product porfolio and found it easier to swallow up a minnow who'd already developed the product it wanted.

Kate B 23:59 23 May 07

"They are the best at what they do" That would tend to suggest that that's the reason for having a big slice of the market.

There are alternatives to Adobe software, some free, some not. I don't understand why people begrudge a company that's good at what it does its position as a market leader.

€dstowe 06:37 24 May 07

You could substitute "Google" for Adobe in the title.

HighTower 08:29 24 May 07

I'm not saying that I begrudge them, it's just in an ideal world I would like more choice. For example if I want to buy a car I can choose a Ford, VW, Citroen, Vauxhaull, Renault, BMW, Mercedes, Fiat, SAAB, Volvo etc, etc. These companies all make very good products and make it more difficult to choose who to buy from, which I think is good for the customer.

There's probably always going to be a market leader, but my point it that there is realistically little else to choose from that really competes.

Are you saying that you are happy with the range that it out there? Personally I would like to see three or four viable alternatives to Dreamweaver. I know that there are other packages available, but in my opinion none approach that standard. I'm not particularly having a go at Adobe, just the situation that has evolved.

ventanas 08:36 24 May 07

This is the way it seem to be going, there used to be something called Cool Edit Pro, now Adobe Audition.

But its not just Adobe, Corel also seem to be buying up anything they can get their hands on, JASC, Ulead etc. Whether all this is for the better, only time will tell. It could be one way of killing off the competition.

Kate B 09:31 24 May 07

You've got loads of choice. There are God knows how many image editing and web design packages, both free and paid-for.

NetObjects Fusion is really popular among PCA users, for starters, then there's the open-source free Nvu; Coffee Cup has a free version, there's MS Front Page ... just Google for "web design software".

For pictures, Picasa, the free Gimp, PSP ... really, if you can't think of viable alternatives you're not looking very hard. Those are just off the top of my head, no Googling involved. The competition isn't going away.

Unless you're in the design industry, you don't need to pay for the Adobe software; and even then you probably don't need to, though your customers might wonder why you don't use the industry standard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…