Adobe Photoshop 7.0 - Scam

Flaco 16:10 15 Jan 04

For any interested parties, here is an update on the original post following my call to the Anti-Piracy manager at Adobe UK.

In his opinion the load is certainly pirated. At any one time they could have between 200-300 outlet investigations going. I was told immediately that as such it was an illegal copy, I was breaking the law by having it and that I was the victim of a scam.

I offered to provide full details on where I'd sourced it plus who payment had been made to, but the offer was declined (?) I also pointed out that it was a full working [OEM version] programme together with a valid CD key and that I had, upon loading it, tried registering online with Adobe.

But here is the main 'scam' warning I received to hopefully disuade any others if, like me, your common sense decides to take an extended lunch break. Once you give your credit card and billing address details to such outfits, you are undoubtedly being harvested. The gentleman said that they normally leave it a few months but then hit your account big time. In line with what he was saying, I ordered the item from a website, received an acknowledgement from another company acting as an agent for them, and a third company then appears on the credit card statement. This is how they cover their tracks.

I threw in the argument re grey marketing but was not convinced by the response. What DOES make me see I was wrong on that front is that, in hindsight, I've not looked at the math involved. If the difference between end-user retail and end-user 'special offer' were just £100 on something like A.PS 7.0, then just maybe it would be a genuine grey market find. But £40? I don't think any distributor anywhere in the world is going to get that kind of pricing, even as cost. And what manufacturer would be giving away that kind of margin to their distributors anyway?

Anyone got two slices of bread for this egg?

oresome 18:28 15 Jan 04

The adage "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" springs to mind.

961 19:57 15 Jan 04

Flaco

I've got to say thanks for your persistence in following this up

You may remember that I couldn't log on to the site initially although other forum members said that was my system's fault because they could. Eventually I did, but I did it by disabling all my security settings on IE6, Zone Alarm, AVG etc etc.

I then got round to searching the net via Google. I trawled through several U.S. forum sites where I was advise by many to use a "one off" credit card if I wanted to buy via the site. It became quite clear that you could buy the software via this site but that sooner or later it would come back to haunt you

What disappoints me is that we are invited, regularly, to report this sort of thing to FAST and the software owners, but that when we do, they really just aren't interested. But if they find us using such software then they are quite preapred to take us to the cleaners

FE, quite rightly, goes on about why shouldn't manufacturers protect their interests, but fails to get to grips with why they do nothing when we reports such cases to them, protesting simply by saying that if they close one site another 2 spring up

I repeat that I feel I pay top dollar while others feel it is convenient to ignore piracy

As for eggs and slices of bread, well, forgive me but.........

Spark6 21:12 15 Jan 04

Flaco:

Have just revisited your original thread, went to the site in question and went through the motions of ordering software.

When I entered the 'Secure Site' I clicked on the padlock, both right and left, and nothing came up. I believe that some sort of authentication should have appeared. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

With the mouse hovering over the padlock the following came up; SSL Secured (128bit). Genuine or not???

Forum Editor 21:23 15 Jan 04

to get to grips with why manufacturers do nothing when they get reports about this kind of thing. I wasn't even aware that it was my job to 'get to grips'with it to be honest - I thought that was something for the manufacturers to handle.

To have an understanding of this situation it's important to realise the scale of it. Microsoft's UK Windows product manager told me a while back that in the UK counterfeit copies of WinXP were as rare as a day without spam - in the UK it seems we don't bother. I know that in the far east it's a very different cup of digits, as it is in South America, and in fact almost anywhere there's a low per capita income.

Trying to track down the people who do the actual pirating can be very difficult, and trying to prosecute every single person who sells a dodgy CD or ten is out of the question - the prosecution costs would outweigh the losses incurred.

I'm as keen as the next man when it comes to stopping piracy, but I'm a realist - I know that the big software companies bide their time - waiting for the day when they can catch a big fish, rather than chase around after the little ones. When all is said and done that should make no difference to us anyway - illegal software is illegal software, and a deal that looks to good to be true............well, it's been said already.

Flaco 22:11 15 Jan 04

I stand suitably admonished.

Brian-336451 03:37 17 Jan 04

I think your point is well made.

Often at this end of the screen we think that when we do 'the right thing' someone will react. Like reporting minor crime to the police.

For us it assumes the 'big deal' status, for the people we report it to, its just everyday business. Unless we grasp that understanding, we stand to disaffected, and thoughts such as 'well I won't bloody well bother next time' spring to the lips.

I think FE has it right. Big software companies have to pay their staff (not being silly here), since most companies have ever-slimmer profit margins here (MS not withstanding - my little sideswipe at their prices). So to chase pirates, they truly NEED to concentrate on the larger fish.

It takes nothing from what you did and what you expected - that's just human nature.

I think you did us all a service bringing it up.

Brian-336451 03:40 17 Jan 04

No its not your remit to right the wrongs of the computer world, but once again, for us this side of the business, you are our conduit into the world that is 'them' to us.

We (well me for certain) do not expect 'Clark Kent', I daresay we'd be mightly disappointed huh?

I think you do a difficult job well, so please relax and nobody that I've read here is impugning you or your actions.

It can be easy when we've 'got it on us' to see that accursed 'big picture' objectively.

Standing down from soapbox here in Bangladesh!

Brian-336451 03:44 17 Jan 04

'It can be easy when we've 'got it on us' to see that accursed 'big picture' objectively'

Should have read 'NOT to see . . . ' etc.

Sorry

Forum Editor 07:18 17 Jan 04

isn't always clear to me either. On several occasions I've passed on details of piracy activities to the big software companies - Microsoft included - and heard no more, not an acknowledgement, nothing.

It costs money to prosecute people, and it involves staff in lengthy and often unproductive work. I can well understand the big companies hesitating when confronted with piracy on a small scale - they want big prosecutions that will hit the news and send a clear message to others.

I wasn't admonishing you Flaco - just trying to explain that things aren't always as clear-cut as they might appear to be.

Flaco 02:39 19 Jan 04

No problem, I didn't perceive that you were beating me over the head on the issue. Indeed, had you (or others) said "I told you so", I would have taken it on the chin with grace. ;)

What worries me now, is if some fellow reader has [innocently] ordered this pirate prog as a result of reading my post. Apart from the obvious implications of that, there's a high risk now that their credit card details (together with address) have been harvested by dubious types. I think I need to scan through the original thread and check to see if I need to send any emails out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…