Additional Memory

m800afc 21:46 23 Jun 07

I am looking to improve the performance of my PC, details of which I obtained from Crucial Scan. Am I better off adding ram or would I be better buying an improved motherboard, if so, which? I am not into high speed gaming, but do a lot of digital imaging in CS2.

Property Value
Model 775VM800
Version 1.00
Serial Number 00000000
Chipset Vendor VIA Technologies Inc
Chipset Model Standard Host Bridge
South Bridge VT8237 PCI to ISA Bridge
SMBus VIA Technologies Inc VT8237 PCI to ISA Bridge

@0400h

CPU Intel Pentium 4 HT
Cpu Socket LGA775 [CPUSocket]
Processor Upgrade
Max CPU Speed 3000 MHz

Memory Summary
Maximum Memory Module Size 1024 MBytes
Maximum Capacity 2048 MBytes
Memory Slots 2
Name Physical Memory Array

Currently installed memory:
512MB
DDR PC2700
512MB
DDR PC3200

Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700,DDR PC3200,DDR PC4000

with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*

*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

* Maximum Memory Capacity: 2048MB
* Currently Installed Memory: 1GB
* Available Memory Slots: 0
* Number of Banks: 2
* Dual Channel Support: No
* CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
* CPU Family: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz Model

4, Stepping 3
* CPU Speed: 2999 MHz

Q: What memory goes into my computer, and can I mix speeds?
A: DDR memory with support for DDR PC2700,DDR PC3200,DDR PC4000 speeds. Because DDR memory is backward-compatible, you can safely upgrade your system with any of the guaranteed-compatible DDR speeds listed below, even if your manual calls for PC1600 or PC2100 speeds.

Q: How much memory can my computer handle?
A: 2048MB. Adding the maximum amount of memory will improve performance and help extend the useful life of your system as you run increasingly demanding software applications in the future.

Q: Do I have to install matching pairs?
A: No, you can install modules one at a time, and you can mix different densities of modules in your computer. But if your computer supports dual-channel memory configurations, you should install in identical pairs (preferably in kits) for optimal performance.

Q: Does my computer support dual-channel memory?
A: No. Your system does not support dual channel.

Q: Does my computer support ECC memory?
A: No. Your system does not support ECC. Because ECC and non-ECC modules should not be mixed within a system, install the same type of modules that are already in your system.

BioBob 23:04 23 Jun 07

I reckon that the basic PC isnt that bad. I havent seen anyone mix and match memory like you have; I was always told that normally causes issues, but their notes suggest otherwise.. weird.

Personally, I would suggest whip out the RAM you have and put in two identical 1GB modules of DDR PC4000 - if it supports Dual Channel Memory, make sure you get the 2Gb dual channel kit versions.

If budget isnt an issue, then a faster Core 2 Duo processor if the motherboard supports it would be a good investment. If the motherboard cant handle it, which i dont think it can then a new one is an option, but its getting pricey now and you maybe better of in that instance, getting a new PC!

Totally-braindead 23:53 23 Jun 07

Adding more RAM would help as you have 512mb at the moment and an upgrade to 1 gig for example would boost things that require a lot of memory.
Whether you would be better buying a new motherboard bundle only you can decide, if the PC does all you ask of it and you just want to give it a bit of a boost then the memory is a reasonable idea.
One thing to mention though, you will only notice a difference with programs that use a large amount of memory such as a powerful graphics program and large images, with day to day things like letter writing and surfing the net I think it is highly unlikely you would actually see any difference as the speed increase is likely to be something like taking 10 seconds to load instead of 12, that sort of thing. It will speed it up but not by a really large amount.
Regarding the point BioBob makes you can mix memory without a problem but of course it only runs at the slower speed.
If your board can take a faster dual core chip then that might be an idea as well, it depends on whether the PC you have now does all you want. If it does appear to struggle then that might be an option. Check the motherboard manufacturers website for supported processors.

JYPX 00:05 24 Jun 07

m800afc - Looks like you can safely order 2 x 1GB modules as suggested by BioBob which should be more than adequate. However, if you were thinking of even more memory (Windows Vista?) it might be an idea to have a quick look inside the case before you order.
The Crucial scan is very useful, in my case it correctly identified the board, but then advised me I had a total of 2 slots each with 256. Each slot capable of 512. Max Memory : 1GB. Recommendation: Buy 2 x 512 to replace the 2 x 256 - Which I did. However when I opened the case I found I have 4 slots, and the max memory is 2GB, not 1GB. Not the end of the world, but next time I will check first!

Totally-braindead 00:13 24 Jun 07

Crucial is usually right but they do make the odd mistake and its only sensible to double check. On the plus side if they do supply the wrong memory they will refund you, the guarantee that the memory they supply will work or your money back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5