Adding a DVD Drive to DVD Reader + CD/RW

thegripper 20:53 31 Oct 03

I already have a DVD reader, and CD writer in my system. I'm thinking of adding a DVD writer. As I have no more IDE cables available, I'm intending to remove the DVD reader and replace it with the DVD writer. Is this straightforward, or are there any potential pitfalls (I'm thinking of the Sony DVD writer which supports both formats).

Thaks for your time.

Dave

rickf 21:10 31 Oct 03

What you need to do is remove the CDRW because the DVD Rewriter is also a CDRW. You need the DVD Reader in as this will read DVDs and the DVD Rewriter will write it to disc. Hope that is clear

thegripper 21:56 31 Oct 03

I've replaced a hard drive several times, but not a CD / RW or DVD, is it just a simple change, and XP does the rest like my hard drive ?

Dave

kinger 22:20 31 Oct 03

Simply open the sides of the case, unscrew the drives, disconnect them and insert the new drives.

Reconnect as you found them and you're away.

DieSse 22:53 31 Oct 03

Make sure the drive select jumper on the one you put in is set in the same position as the one you take out.

SEASHANTY 15:47 01 Nov 03

As well as the Sony you could also consider the LG GSA - 4040B which is listed as the No.1 best buy in the current 100th issue of PC ADVISOR MAGAZINE. (The Sony is No.2.) Not only is the LG multi format with + and - DVD writing it also covers DVD-RAM (which the Sony does not). Price of the LG is listed at microdirect.co.uk as GBP 112-80 inclusive of vat.

SEASHANTY 10:51 02 Nov 03

Specification for the LG multiformat DVD writer listed here click here

GuyR 19:29 02 Nov 03

As Diesse and kinger say it's very easy, and once you have done it you will think "how much would a PC shop charge for that?" and realise that this is an area where most people fear to tread and so pay silly money for a few minutes work.

First time will take you an hour max as you will go dead careful, then next time no more than 30 mins if that.

go for it

bremner 20:32 02 Nov 03

If you are undecided then take a look at this review click here

You will see they recommend the LG mentioned above and the Pioneer A06 (which is also labelled DVR106 as an OEM)

click here

click here

SEASHANTY 16:05 03 Nov 03

Called in at Microdirect this afternoon and purchased the LG 4040B retail boxed for ?89 +vat. OK I see I could have saved a fiver by buying from Ebuyer but its worth that not having to wait for parcel force. Also wanted some of these new round IDE cables to try and improve the airflow in this Medion midi PC case especially as I intend fitting a
second HDD. These round IDE cables apparently come in all colours. ?5 each plus vat. Hopefully will avoid fitting another fan.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…