AdAware plus Spybot miss nearly half adware infect

Dae 14:40 28 Jan 05

The combination of AdAware SE Personal, and Spybot Search and Destroy, when actually tested on an infected machine, fixed only 54 per cent of downloaded Adware, according to WindowsSecrets.com/050127.

May be this oft-recommended combination is not as good as it used to be.

Totally-braindead 15:29 28 Jan 05

Heres the link click here away to read it now.

Totally-braindead 15:37 28 Jan 05

Well I've glanced through the article and I have to say I never thought that adaware and spybot would get rid of all spyware, after all theres new ones all the time. Its a bit disappointing to see what they don't detect but whats the alternative. At least these 2 programs get rid of a lot of the spyware and cause no problems to my computer, much preferable to something, in my opinion at least, that gets rid of 99% of spyware but deletes wrong entries and causes the computer to crash. I'll stick with what I know works until something better comes along. Interesting article though, thanks Dae.

russmini 19:43 28 Jan 05

and you can always add aSquared as well to help things out. I have all three at mo.

Aristocatman 20:41 28 Jan 05

I also run PestPatrol as well this finds some things the others don't.

GaT7 21:52 28 Jan 05

Yes, unfortunately the duo are not always good enough & that's why one tends to see more threads with other antispyware suggested as well.

4 more things one can do to complement Adaware, Spybot, a², etc:

1. Block 3rd party cookies in IE. IE > Tools > Internet Options > Privacy tab > Advanced. Put a tick each in 'Override automatic cookie handling' & 'Always allow session cookies'. Under 'First-party Cookies', select 'Accept' & under 'Third-party Cookies' select 'Block'. Click on OK, Apply & OK (you'll be pleasantly surprised how many spyware cookies this blocks).

2. Get SpywareBlaster click here which blocks a lot of scum.

3. Get MS Antispyware Beta (needs Win2000+) click here which blocks & scans.

4. Run a scan with Spyaudit (Spy Sweeper's online scan) click here. G

Totally-braindead 21:59 28 Jan 05

The Microsoft Antispyware Beta works with XP as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…