Acronis... Good and Bad!

Simsy 07:25 19 Apr 08

Folks,

I recently purchased a laptop, (Toshiba Sat pro 210), and subsequently also bought Acronis True Image 11, (downloaded) to use with it.

It installed OK, and I created bootable restore media.

Unfortunately though the programme works via Windows it would not run to restore the "C" drive, the operating system partition. All three possible methods failed;
1) Using the bootable restore disc. (It would boot, but the programme not run)
2) Using the "Secure Zone"
3) Attempting to restore from Windows and having it reboot itself to actually perform the operation.

In each case the computer booted, but stalled loading the programme itself. (It's ok from within windows creating an image, or restoring to the non-system partition.)

Now the bad thing I have to report is the lack of response from Acronis support. I emailed, via the support page, twice, as I discoved the different issues, over a period of several days. In each case I got a response almost immediately. Both times it was an auto generated acknowledgement thanking me for my inquiry and telling me that it would be followed up soon. A week after the first one, having persevered trying to sort things, and having had no further contact from Acronis support, I gave up with it!

And this is the good bit!

On the page I downloaded it from there is the promise of a 30 day guarantee, so I thought I'd ask for a refund...

This is done via the online support. I click on the "online chat" button, and had a brief, polite, exchange with someone who gave me a reference number and said someone from sales would email me shortly to resolve it. I took this to mean that I would get a refund but that they'd try to persuade me otherwise...

Anyway, nothing more was heard for a couple of days, so I email support again, with the reference number. the next day I got an email telling me I'd have a refund. And a few days later it was back in my account.

So the long and short of it is that Acronis were poor because they were slow/non existant in actually providing technical support, but they were good because they provided a refund with no quibble!

So I leave you to ponder on the overall quality of the service!

Now all I have to do is find some imaging software that will work on my machine!

Regards,

Simsy

100andthirty 09:28 19 Apr 08

It's sad that tech support didn't respond, but at least they stood by their promise to refund the price if not satisfied. Acronis is a complex programme and it took me a while to learn how it works.

Simsy 11:58 19 Apr 08

You're right. On all counts!

I do know how it works... I have a previous version. I had to get version 11 for my Laptop, which has Vista.

Regards,

Simsy

Mike D 12:13 19 Apr 08

SImsy

Did you try using the support forum? I have in the past and besides the community support, Acronis are usually not far away and do participate.

Mike

Mike D 12:14 19 Apr 08

SImsy

Did you try using the support forum? I have in the past and besides the community support, Acronis are usually not far away and do participate.

Mike

Simsy 12:18 19 Apr 08

to no avail.

Regards,

Simsy

T0SH 18:37 19 Apr 08

On the Acronis icon from the start menu there is an option called "Bootable Rescue Media Builder" use this to create the bootable Acronis CD , booting your PC with this CD will open up the Acronis program pretty much the same as it looks in the windows with all the functionallity to backup restore ETC

Cheers HC

GaT7 19:56 19 Apr 08

Try Paragon Drive Backup 8.5....

Trial download click here - 30-days free I think, but not sure how 'crippled' it is.

Purchase from Amazon click here for £17, or download from Paragon click here for ~£16 (at present exchange rate).

Reviews click here & click here. G

Rob_08 20:20 19 Apr 08

Shame Acronis didnt work out, i installed 11 ,made bootable media and have now made 15 or 16 or so incremental backups of drives C: & D: Must be a conflict there somewhere. Acronis rocks for me , never let me down.

Simsy 21:43 19 Apr 08

The problem is that it doesn't! The PC wont run the programme. I'm not alone in this... There are a lot of folk with the same problem. It seems to be some kind of issue with SATA drives.

Crossbow7...
Thanks... I've tried that as well and the same problem seems to exist. It won't boot into the programme from the recovery media. I've a bit more testing to do, but it's not looking promising. (It's actually Hard Disc Manager Suite I've got). The recovery media works on my Desktop, but not my laptop.

Thanks for the interst and input. If Paragon doesn't work out I may be looking at "Ghost", but I can't seem to find a link for a trial, or a moneyback promise.

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now