ACER - is warranty uk law legal?

Sic 11:53 24 Jul 06

I just bought my mum a new Acer base unit, very nice bit of kit at silly low money i might add. My query is this though, they have stuck a warranty seal over the back cover. I want to stick another 256Mb of memory in, but don't want to void the 12 month warranty.

Are Acer allowed to do this? Wash their hands of their warranty if you break a seal on the machine? Don't take this as a go at Acer, im very impressed with their service and im sure they are not the only company to do this, just curious on the legal implications if say u open the cover and then a week later the HD fails.

dontmeshwithme 12:29 24 Jul 06

I don't think the warranty would hold up in court as a computer is designed to be opened by the user (it's like putting a warrenty sticker on a car bonnet), however if you damage the machine whilst inside then obviously this wouldn't be covered. This is only my opinion and I would wait for comment from the FE before breaking the seal. Also (and again I would like further clarification from anyone) but with the indiviual components espcially the hard drive, you usually get a second warrenty from the manufacturer, that wouldn't be voided by opening the case.

beynac 13:01 24 Jul 06

Have you asked Acer how you are meant to upgrade the memory?

spuds 13:28 24 Jul 06

I would definitely contact Acer and the retailer about this. Their replies could be very interesting.

Whatever the outcome, UK consumer law would over rule any unacceptable retailers warranty laws. Remember that the retailer is responsible for any claims within the first twelve months (at least)and not Acer, even though the retailer may direct you to Acer to resolve any problems. Acer warranties are an additional benefit.

Some manufacturers and retailers will let you upgrade, with the proviso that any 'non-specified parts' fitted would be void of any claims.

Sic 14:00 24 Jul 06

Cheers guys, well the seller was offering it bundled with another 256mb stick of memory!! (provided in seperate box). It's only now i decided to uprgrade for her as it has shared video so is a tad sluggish.

spuds 14:21 24 Jul 06

With the seller (retailer?) offering another 256mb of memory as a bundled package, then I would contact them for further clarification.At the same time, I would still seek Acer's advice.

Best to be safe today, than sorry tomorrow, all for a couple of simple emails.

Sic 14:42 24 Jul 06

spuds...yeah it was Ebuyer, the way i said it made it sound like it was a bloke of Ebay!

Dipso 22:24 25 Jul 06

"if say u open the cover and then a week later the HD fails." LOL which is exactly what happened to me!

I bought a desktop which only had 256 so I opened the case and stuck in another 256. Within a week the hard drive died. I did manage to carefully peel off the warranty sticker without damaging it just in case, but in the end I decided to replace the HD with a spare I had lying around, rather than have to post it back to Acer and wait and wait (so I've heard) for it to be returned.

The next problem was getting an OS on it as they didn't ship any back up discs!

I put it down to experience!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017