Acer rip off?

bax 10:29 09 Feb 07

I recently had what I thought was a software problem with my Acer Travelmate.

Acer suggessted I send it for evaluation as they thought it might be hardware. I did so and was quoted £941 for repair including a new motherboard.

Of course I refused.

I reformatted and re-installed the OS and it's been working perfectly for over a month now.

Anyone else had a similar bad experience with them?

spuds 10:49 09 Feb 07

If you put in a search within the PCA forum or google, you we see that some people have.

Acer computer's are very good and reasonably priced (I have friends who own and use them), but when they go wrong, their aftercare and repair services can be a little suspect.

silverous 11:12 09 Feb 07

I've had nothing but good experiences with Acer laptops and Acer support.

I suspect you'll find many similar stories about support from PC World, Dell, Mesh, Evesham and others.

If the person who gets your case happens to be new/inexperienced or sees the problem being a particular thing then that's the result you get. They should have quality checks in place though so this is rather worrying.

It is the same situation in that when someone posts an issue on here you'll get maybe 10 different responses - this guy thought it was your motherboard/hardware....turns out he was wrong.

Jimmy14 14:02 09 Feb 07

I don't think Acers technical support centre is helpful as some of them have a bad attitude and they now charge 50p a minute to speak to one of them when it used to be national rate. My acer Laptop which is decently specified (runs Vista Ultimate fine) has had no problems since I bought it in December 2005. Well worth the money.

dms05 14:31 09 Feb 07

I'm using an Acer laptop and it's excellent. If you saw recent reports of laptop sales you will have seen Acers market share has grown rapidly due to their value for money hardware. However their after sales support has lagged behind and my dealings with them have been poor. As with any large operation you will come across a small percentage of problems, in your case you've solved the problem yourself. However quoting £1k for a non-essential repair will take some beating!

I took out an Acer 3 year warranty for about £50. On it's 4th birthday my laptop will be well ready to be replaced and maybe Vista will look a good product by then!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…