acer aspire battery fire

teas 12:57 19 Mar 07

Anyone had problems with Sanyo battery BTP-96H1 in notebooks.
My notebook had a hole burnt through to the keyboard and battery and connections completely burnt out after 10 months.I sent it under warranty to Acer expecting either a new unit or a refund (£924).They sent it back saying it was accidental damage due to water.
To the best of my knowledge it was never in contact with any liquids.
When I discovered the problem it was dry on keyboard and all around the unit.When I lifted it up to inspect it, I found it to be wet with a brown liquid on the bottom, I assumed this was either from the burnt battery or internal components melting due to the intense heat as the battery compartment had the same liquid inside.
Is it normal for a notebook that's had water on it to catch fire, you would think they would be some safety devices (fuse) to stop this happening.
Any ideas to get Acer to do the right thing and replace the notebook or any action I can take to pursue it.
Dave

spuds 16:02 19 Mar 07

If you still have the notebook, with the evidence of the damage, then I would suggest that you take this to your local trading standards. They can advice and possibly conduct more investigations in a thourough professional manner.

There have been a number of recalls due to faulty batteries over the past year or so.One of the latest recalls is by Lenovo for 200,000 extended-life battery packs sold between September 2005 and February 2007 for the Lenovo R,T and Z series notebooks. All these batteries were manufactured in Japan by Sanyo. The problem in these cases are overheating which as caused damage to the computer and other devices.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…