Acer Aspire 5612WLMi laptop?

Daibus 01:06 23 Apr 06

I´m just trying out an Acer Aspire 5612 WLMi laptop which has the Intel Core T2300 processor - the screen is absolutely brilliant - even better than the Sony X-black screens I think - the price was good as well - 999€ which is around 690 UK (I´m in Spain)and the build and general performance so far seems very good - however I´ve just been reading that their after care is the proverbial c... has anyone therefore got any experience or opinion of this particular model or of a similar one and also what about Acer laptops generally?

Many thanks.

dms05 16:06 24 Apr 06

I've had an Acer Aspire 5003 (64bit AMD with 1Gb RAM and 100Gb HDD + WiFi) for about 2 months. I paid the same price as you. I was looking at the same model as yours in Carrefour Cartagena today.

The screen is the same as yours and is, as you say, exceptionally good. Overall I'm very happy with the performance and quality of build. The latter is better than my Toshiba Satellite Pro.

Acer service is however poor. They declined to comment on their Acer Arcade software causing a problem saying their warranty didn't cover software and I should approach the software manufacturer - who of course is Acer. It took them 7 days to 'answer' my question as well. Luckily fellow forum members had helped me solve the problem long before Acers silly response. I hope I don't have to ask them anything serious!

Ross Murray 19:08 24 Apr 06

I have an Acer Aspire 3003WLMI laptop. It is off exceptional quality especially for the price I paid of £499. The screen, as you say is, really very good. I think it is excellent. Build quality is excellent, alot of features for the money too. This model included a 60GB hd, 512 ram, AMD Sempron 3000 and a multi-format DVD Burner. Had no problems with the supplied software which included Acer Arcade. In terms of service, I've not needed to contact them, but the laptop has a recovery partition so you can burn back up disks, but also includes a seperate copy of the software with the laptop.

No problems, would recommend the product.

raeman 19:40 24 Apr 06

I have had an Acer Aspire 5562WXMi for about 2 weeks now T2300 duo core processor with the smaller 14.1" widescreen display (wanted something more portable). Screen is excellent build quality excellent ,can't fault it also couldn't find any other make offering the same at a similar price. On the customer service same a dms05 ,emailed them a couple of times about my daughters Acer laptop ,took about a week before i got a reply never had to use them with a hardware problem
so can't comment on that side.

Macnoggs 07:23 31 May 06

Hi everybody,

I’ve had this laptop for just over a week now and first impressions are good.
Feels well built and solid, was easy to set up out of the box but you need 5 CD’s or a DVD handy to burn a restore disk. All in all so far so good.

I have emailed Acer (2 days ago) to ask if or how to enable the Bluetooth switch on the front of the machine but reading the other entries here looks like I’ll have a wait awhile for a reply?

Daibus 08:29 31 May 06

I suspect that Bluetooth is not installed with this model in spite of the switch at the front.

It´s the same with me so will be interested to see what Acer come back with.

DrScott 14:27 31 May 06

is really not very good. I've had problems with them in the past. They are cheap laptops, and because of that I think you get poor service. My last laptop with them took 6-8 weeks for the repair!

Having said that, I recently bought a 5562 for my (future) sister-in-law, and I must say I was rather tempted to keep it. However, the fan was making a racket so sent it back as DOA. Was a bit disappointed it took a week to get it back, that I wasn't just given a replacement (it was, as I said, DOA), and also they'd left a few marks on the case, but overall the service was okay.

For the money, you do get an excellent PC - just hope you won't need any repairs doing!

Jimmy14 15:58 31 May 06

I wouldnt say that £1200 is certainly cheap to me. That is what my high spec centrino laptop from Acer cost me and it is excellent quality. Screen is better quality than any other lcd laptop screens I have came across. Though i understand where you are coming from about repairs

FUl2tiV3 18:51 31 May 06

got an acer 4151LMi nearly a year ago. xp pro/1.7 centrino. has only crashed 3 times, which is fairly good going, i guess. don't like the fact that their is no xp disc, only the recovery software/back up. one of the crashes was awkward, and i used my ME/XP upgrade disc (from my desktop) to sort it out.

the laptop is formatted in FAT32, which is crap for video editing due to the file size limits. reformatting in NTFS prevents the recovery software from working, which is annoying.

i am generally very satisfied so far, though i have not yet had to use acer support or service. the wifi works brilliantly, and the spec was good for the money.

Victorious1 19:56 07 Jul 06

I bought my wife an Acer Aspire 5612 WLMI about 2 1/2 months ago and we both find it to be an excellent computer. It's more powerful than we expected and it has not let us down yet although we have had several issues that were my doing. I like to tinker and change things and download upgrades that I feel will better the machine but in doing so I've created errors that have wiped out drivers that were easily reloaded with the direction of Acer's excellent tech folks.

So far, we cannot complain at all about Acer's tech support because they have always helped us to get the laptop back up to snuff and they even did so with an excellent attitude. Maybe this was because we purchased the extended 3 year warranty, but, I get the feeling that they would be just as professional had we not.

We had test driven several other laptops before purchasing this one and feel that the Acer Aspire 5612 WLMI is one heck of a machine for the money and it even performs better than some other more expensive laptops. I give this laptop 5 stars + for performance, looks, useability and features.

De Marcus™ 20:17 07 Jul 06

The switch is there to enable or disable a USB or PCMCIA blue-tooth device, which would have to be bought separately unless it's included with the laptop. I guess it's a handy thing to have rather than doing it via software or reaching round and unplugging whatever device you may have.

I must say, I also own an Acer, and to date it's the best laptop I've had (I've had a few), the screen is absolutely fantastic as mentioned, build quality, no complaints here, battery life is phenomenal with the right settings (once owned a Toshiba that couldn't get past 50 minutes after 2 months).

I can't comment on the support, I've never had cause to use it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…