Abusive messenger service windows

SALLY S 10:19 30 Mar 04

mother (70) keeps experiencing messenger service windows which are displaying unpleasant messages of a sexual nature from various sources.

I have followed instructions in last months mag re start - run - type services.msc etc and it has worked on my pc (XP professional) but not on mummys`(XP home user).

Is it straightforward procedure to download shoot the messenger from the website suggested in the mag and is it free and will it create virus problem for mummy ? please help. I know she could use the CD but she lives many miles away and i SHALL HAVE TO POST IT TO HER SO LOOKING FOR A QUICKER SOLUTION.

Sally S

byfordr 10:42 30 Mar 04

Its possible it may be stopped with this program click here download and run, very quick!

Also run spybot click here (site seems to be down at the moment)
Adaware click here
cwshredder click here
to clean off the nasties (They are faily straight forward to downlaod, install, update, run but if you think she may have problems it may be easier to go up there and do it yourself)

HTH

R

Sir Radfordin 11:04 30 Mar 04

Start / Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Services

Find the Messenger service and double click it. Click stop and then change the startup type to disabled.

Ok out of that and close the Services window down and reboot the machine. Should no longer have a problem.

This service has nothing to do with MSN Messenger or Windows Messenger and so those things will not be affected. You will however stop getting the grey advertising messages.

Sir Radfordin 11:06 30 Mar 04

click here for more.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…