Abbyy FineReader OCR, I'm impressed.

pj123 15:39 23 Feb 07

Being a 70wpm typist I have generally found it quicker to re-type something rather than scan it through an OCR.

I downloaded a form from the internet which I might need more than one. (VAT exempt form for disabled persons)

Abbyy came bundled with my Epson scanner so I thought I would give it a try, to save me having to download a new one every time.

It scanned it without error and is now saved as a Word doc so that I can change the supplier details as when necessary.

The last time I used an OCR was years ago when you had to teach it to recognise certain characters. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then.

ventanas 16:26 23 Feb 07

Very good isn't it? Have been praising it for some years.

But have had a problem lately, not with the software, but with ABBYY. The later versions require activation, and they only give you a couple of goes at it. Another reinstall and activation will be refused. This is a nuisance because you have to email them with all your registration data before they will free it up.

Or do what I did and yell down the phone at them.

pj123 16:43 23 Feb 07

I seem to have Abbyy v5 and v6 installed on my PC. V5 maybe from a previous Epson scanner and v6 from my current scanner. I have not been asked to activate anything yet.

Stuartli 17:49 23 Feb 07

I use to have ABBYY on my system (seem to remember it came on a PC Advisor cover disk); however it had to be updated with a 34MB file which was not appreciated with a dialup connection.

Fortunately one of the offspring had the required BB at the time.

Arnie 18:24 23 Feb 07

I too use ABBYY FineReader 5.0. Home Edition.
In fact only a couple of hours ago, I scanned a guarantee leaflet which came with a new ironing board purchased today.
The info was saved in Word, error free.
I often do this and save the data on my computer. It is then later transferred to Rom disc.

On the subject of scanners. Some of the guarantee receipts given by a few stores today leave a lot to be desired. They can be quite small and are easily lost or they soon fade.
Here is a tip.

Scan them around 150dpi. Drop the image into Word or your picture-editing program. Save them as the name of the product with its guarantee expiry date.
Now print the result to double the original size onto an A4 sheet and lightly stick the original next to its copy. It can now be easily located.

Jim Thing 18:39 23 Feb 07

"A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then."

That's for sure. In the early 1970s I was invited to a demonstration of an OCR reader which a prominent multinational was trying to introduce to the UK publishing industry. The thing was the size of a large filing cabinet, could only read stuff printed in that weird OCR font still used on the bottom of cheques, and made even more mistakes than I do. It was priced at £35,000 (according to my dodgy memory).

Like you, I now use ABBYY Fine Reader, which is virtually error-free and came for nowt with my £60 scanner.

pj123 14:54 27 Feb 07

Closing this one now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now