A3 Printer Buying Advice

BillS719 17:56 28 Nov 10

I am looking for a new A3 printer. I currently have a HP1220c (bought 2nd hand) which is virtually unusable for A3 photos due to poor paper handling although it is OK for A4 and general printing. However, it has very much put me off HP products. It's going to be my wife's general purpose printer.

What I want is -
1. A printer which can do a good general all-round job and handle 80 gsm paper OK.

2. Which will give reasonably good quality A3 glossy colour prints every so often.

3. Which doesn't cost a fortune in ink; although I am happy to use compatible inks. The Epson SP1400 seemed a possibility but user reviews all complain of high ink usage.

4. Costs less than £300 at most.

Am I asking too much? Can anyone recommend a printer to fit the bill? I wouldn't mind buying 2nd hand again if the printer would do what I want.

Grateful for your help.
Bill

morddwyd 19:20 28 Nov 10

Just in case your looking at it I have a Brother MFC 6490CW but wouldn't recommend it.

Colour rendition could be better.

HondaMan 15:14 29 Nov 10

I have the 6890CDW and it's great. I bought it to replace a Canon scanner which refused to work with Win7 Pro 64-bit.

BillS719 16:24 29 Nov 10

@hondaman

What's the quality like for an A3 photo print?

I looked at the reviews of the 6890CDW and they are generally good except that they say that the quality of colour prints ins't good. I am willing to accept something that isn't absolutely top notch but would like to be able to get reasonable quality A3 colour photos.

Bill

carver 22:04 29 Nov 10

Have a look here click here or here click here

Most of the better ones are in the £500-£800 price range and if you buy second hand why are they selling it if it still works properly.

HondaMan 10:32 30 Nov 10

If you log onto the Brother website, you can select a print to blow up to A3 and have printed on your printer of choice. If I remember correctly, you can even submit one of your own. I selected what seemed to be their most complex image. It was fantastic in real-life. Give it a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5