£900 Gaming PC required

DanielDeronda 18:12 28 Apr 10

Hello

I am finally taking my old PC out of the dark ages (a Dell Pentium II with a 64mb graphics card, 512mb of RAM etc etc).

I have a budget to spend of around £900 (max) & need either a complete system (if the peripherals & accessories are OK) or a base system & buy the monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers etc elsewhere.

I have done the usual searches of various manufacturers & other forums & have come up with some specs. This is what I am broadly looking at. I want to use the PC mainly for gaming purposes, but also for Internet surfing/downloading, general Office work & also maybe to watch movies on as a secondary TV in my bedroom.

As I said I have a few ideas:

I-5 750 or AMD X4 965,955 or 925 processor
4gb of RAM
1tb Hard Drive (Samsung F3 preferably)
Mid range graphics card (ATI or NVIDIA)
Blu-ray reader/DVD rewriter (don't need the Blu-ray rewriter)
An appropriate motherboard & PSU
A good value for money keyboard & mouse & also a pair of speakers
A decent case
Windows 7 Premium

Could people please recommend me where I could make cutbacks to make my budget & also of manufacturers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

citadel 18:41 28 Apr 10

first thing is quality psu, then graphics card hd5870, 0r hd5850, then case with good cooling and room large graphics card.

G4V1N 18:41 29 Apr 10

if you were to buy a £900 computer i would recomend getting a Intel core Quad or a I3/i5/i7 as these chips will run a lot cooler when doing heavy gaming.

What type of games where you thinking of playing?

I wouldn't reccomend buying a Nvidea Graphics card as they have not sorted out the silicon problem with there most recent cards.

I would reccomend getting a ATI graphics card. As i have one and never had a problem with it.
click here
This is one but the down side is th Graphics card

it might be cheaper building it yourself??

Just a sugestion..

G

AL47 21:30 29 Apr 10

ill give you my compouter spec of jan this year, cost about a grand

i7 920 D0 [overclocked to 3.8GHZ] with noctua heat sink
asus p6t motherboard
6GB ram G.skill ripjaw ram 1600MHz[has to be 3 6 12 for that series of CPU]
ATI 5850 GPU [wont touch nvidia ever again]
samsung 8x BD-rom DVD+-RW i only needed blu ray read
WD 300GB VR 10000 RPM HDD
Seagate 7200 RPM 1.5TB drive
HAF 922 case
850W corsair PSU with 5yr warrenty
logitech G15 keyboard

and as an extra not inc in price have a dell u2410 ultrasharp IPS panel.. expensive but worth it, 5yr pixel perfect guarantee.. £375... my favourite purchase

you could get an i5 and save a fair bit, [i reencode blu rays etc so wanted the extra cpu power]

i built mine my slef and overclocked it, and hadnt tried doing that before

MAT ALAN 22:06 29 Apr 10

click here

if you are looking to buy not build the link may help...

yellowbird 12:37 30 Apr 10

Hi - I would recommend you take a look at Cube247, i have a few system from them and they never fail to impress. The service is excellent and the systems are always very good quality.

You get great value for money so i am sure they will have a few system for you to choose from.

DanielDeronda 12:57 01 May 10

I had a look at Cube 247 & the possibilities to configure your PC seemed limited. I got the following spec from CyberPower which I have heard positive feedback about for around £940.

BenQ G2410HD 23.6" Widescreen LCD Monitor £145.99

AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 955 Black Edition 3.20GHz (Socket AM3)

Club 3D ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Geil Value 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory

Asus M4A77TD Pro AMD 770 (Socket AM3) DDR3 Motherboard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit - OEM

LG CH08LS10 8x BluRay ROM / 16x DVD±RW Drive - Black (OEM)

Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM

Antec TruePower New Modular 550W Power Supply

Xigmatek Asgard Midi Tower Case - Black

Logitech MX518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse

Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard

Logitech X-210 2.1 Speaker System

It comes to around £940 in total.

What do people think about that & could any cost savings be made to get it nearer my £900 max.

yellowbird 11:15 04 May 10

I am slightly confused with your comment about Cube, - there are dozens of options to choose from with each system. If my memory doesnt fail me, when I got a system from them they have a range of systems available for immediate dispatch which they have built previously. If you choose a system from this range the selection of upgrades is limited but thats only because you a choosing an "off the shelf system" however you can choose the same system and customise it as much as you want as long as you can wait a few days for the system to be built and tested for you.

gfox101 20:32 01 Jun 10

Have a look at click here might be sort of what you are looking for.

MAT ALAN 20:52 01 Jun 10

gfox101

I would be worried about a website that has no proper contact details, there is no information about who they are, where they are from and to suggest they deliver personally so you can pay by whatever means they have at their disposal, as a consumer i would be a tad suspicious...

gfox101 12:36 03 Jun 10

I think their site is still being constructed. Things go up on it every day and there are still a few fundamental problems. Give them a call and i'm sure they will offer an explanation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac