£84 postal charge realistic?

hssutton 10:09 07 Feb 08

I intend sending one of my DSLRs to the States for a conversion to IR. I have no problem with the cost of this conversion, but I'm a little concerned about the quoted return Postal/Insurance costs of $165

The estimated value of this camera would be approx £500.

So again is $165 approx £84 realistic?.

sorry no nothing about cameras or the postal costs in question but would the uk firm in the link be able to do it?
click here
sorry if its not what your looking for.

hssutton 12:43 07 Feb 08

Thanks for the link, although I've carried out an extensive search and also posted on a number of photo forums I'd not come across this company.

Will certainly check them out.

Since my morning post I've received another email from a different company LifePixel the one mention in your link, their quoted handing shipping costs being $55. This seems a little more realistic.

hssutton 13:06 07 Feb 08

Again many thanks, I've just been in contact with Advanced Camera Services, this will result in a massive saving of over £150.

Raven, I owe you a drink :)

Thats great news,
cyber pint it is.

hssutton 22:42 07 Feb 08

Is that beer or the hard stuff:) Here is a partly used bottle of glenmorangie. click here

BT 08:25 08 Feb 08

Postal charges to the USA (and many other places) are horrendous. Once you go over 2kg the prices spiral.

For Royal Mail prices
click here

hssutton 08:42 08 Feb 08

To put the postal cost from the USA into perspective.
I've just received a quote from another company with a postal charge of $55.

amonra 14:24 08 Feb 08

click here

I've used this firm for years, very competitive and brilliant delivery times.

grumpygramp 16:03 08 Feb 08

I wanted to send a parcel to USA before Christmas .the cost via Royal Mail was £24 odd DHL quoted £71 . Royal mail included insurance .This for a Box 12 X 9 X 7 inches weighing 2KG this as near as I remember . I valued the parcel at £20 .So maybe your £84 is not so far out .Ring round a few Carriers and get some more Quotes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5