£800 Laptop - Which one?

millomite 19:15 14 Feb 06

Hi Evryone

I have £800 to spend on a laptop. I'm looking for one which is capable of transferring video from my DV camcorder easily as well as being relatively small.

I have looked at the Acer 5504WXMi and the Sony Vaio VGN-FJ1S/W

Which do people recommend?

Joe R 21:14 14 Feb 06

millomite,

A few more for you to mull over, click here click here
click here

Joe R 21:16 14 Feb 06

millomite,

the first is much the same as the one you were thinking over, but has 256Mb graphics, and a larger screen.

Dellman 10:09 15 Feb 06

Have you tried DELL Inspiron 6000 retails at £599 (Offer expires today!!)

Dellman 12:26 15 Feb 06

Not sure if MESH any good for Laptops....I've only got experience of buying 2 PCs from them about 18mths ago....the PCs are still going strong!!

Dellman 11:02 16 Feb 06

Laptops deal

However I have just purchased a laptop for my dad from DELL......despite the "headline" price, I was able to get the package inc. upgrade to PM 740 processor, 80GB HD, 3yrs Onsite Service, free 15 mths antivirus, and a free case....for £700!! - Their online price was £934!! (Moral..don't deal online!!)

See here

click here

Crash 18:41 16 Feb 06

Try this one, I thought it was good value.
click here

ade.h 21:22 16 Feb 06

Sonys are fantastic quality - and respectable value if you stay under a grand - but like Acer, the battery life is terrible; typically around 2 to 2.5 hours (claimed) so real-world is about 1.5 hrs ish.

I'd go for the Fujitsu or a Tosh or an HP (which I have, but I paid more than your budget).

Jimmy14 22:14 16 Feb 06

excuse me but i have a acer aspire with pentium m and centrino and the battery life is roughly 6 hours when i take it to work and other business meetings and stuff. My friend has an hp pavillion and the battery life is 1:30 hours so dont criticise acer until you have a powerfull one in front of you

ade.h 22:20 16 Feb 06

Yours must be exceptional; I have worked on and maintained a number of Acers and their battery life ranged from 1 to 1.5 hours in average use. Some of my clients have them and complain about the poor battery life.

Sonys tend to be like that too; my wife's FS315S manages about 1.5 hrs at best.

My HP however, manages at least 3.5 hrs under heavy strain.

Jimmy14 22:30 16 Feb 06

what processors and speeds, ram have your acer previous laptops had

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009