7dayshop.com

oresome 11:41 02 May 04

I have just placed an order with the above for a digital camera as they came out cheapest on a price search.(Fuji S7000) Since realised may be liable for VAT which makes the price nothing special. Anybody any experience of purchasing larger value items from them? I've purchased quite a few times from them before, but value has always been £30 or less and orders are often split to reduce value further and no vat has been requested. How will I know if and when vat is chargeable? I'll have 7 days to return camera.

spuds 12:03 02 May 04

A very good question, as 7dayshop is based in vat free Jersey. I have purchased many items from this company,without any problems, and the vat query as never occured.Perhaps a email to 7days will give you the official answer, which would be very interesting to receive.

oresome 12:33 02 May 04

Extract from their terms and conditions "If your delivery address is outside of Guernsey you may be subject to duties/taxes/charges which may be levied once the package/s reach the delivery destination. Any such charges must be bourne by you. We have no control over these charges and we cannot predict what they might be."

spuds 12:47 02 May 04

Whoops, Guernsey not Jersey.

Stuartli 17:37 02 May 04

The key word in the "t and c" is "may" be charged.

I've found 7dayshop an excellent outfit to deal with apart from somewhat lengthy delivery times, probably due to it keeping these charges as low as possible or even, on occasions, at a specially reduced rate.

The subject must be very similar to buying tax free goods in the airports in Jersey or Guernsey - I've never had to pay any additional VAT afterwards.

SEASHANTY 19:38 02 May 04

The UK Customs limit for the vat free regions is £18. So if your goods plus postage are more than £17-99 then the package is liable to duty and vat and also the post office charge. Royal Mail collect in the region of £3-85 per delivery for collecting duty and vat and behalf of Customs & Excise and you have to pay the full amount before they will release
the package. This applies to both Jersey and Guernsey and in fact all other C.I. regions. Also
regions outside the European Union. USA etcetera.

SEASHANTY 09:49 03 May 04

The relevant info on the above is shown on this document from Customs & Excise
click here

oresome 10:13 03 May 04

Thanks Seashanty..........that explains why previous orders have been split to get the value down. Can't really do that with a camera! In the light of this, I have e-mailed 7day cancelling the order. The order is shown as processed but not dispatched, so hopefully that is the end of the matter. Noticed yesterday that Jessops had a managers special in the window saying they would beat any UK internet price where the goods were in stock. Buyacamera.co.uk sell the S7000 at £359.99 inc 2 year warranty. Will see if Jessops will beat this. Its £499 in their window!

georgemac 12:24 03 May 04

they would not price match a sony dsc v1 for me with the park cameras internet price, although if they have a managers special in the window they must comply - if they have it in stock.

byfordr 12:31 03 May 04

Had to go to 2 Jessops shops before they would price match for a Sony TRV-33...

ch0pper 12:40 03 May 04

I've been told, and it seems to be borne out by experience, that Customs make only random inspections at Postal Clearing/Parcel Clearing sites.

So, some weeks I've had VAT and Import Duties levied on every package and some weeks I've had nothing added. This in itself is damned annoying.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…