£700 destop p.c

prong 18:05 01 Dec 05

So I've been looking for a new p.c with a budget of £700 inc. vat. After a while of searching this is the best I have found :

Vantage Precision

# Processor (CPU)
Intel P4 64-Bit 630 3.0Ghz Socket 775 Processor
# Chassis Case
Vantage Evolution Inspire Case in Black & Silver
400W Quiet Power Supply
# Motherboard
775TWINS-HDTV Motherboard with PCI Express Architecture
# Memory
1Gb DDR400 PC3200 Memory
# Hard Drive
200Gb Serial ATA 150 7200RPM
# Graphics Card
Nvidia GeForce 6600 256Mb DDR + DVI/TV out PCI Express
# Sound
Eight channels of audio output supporting a subwoofer & up to seven satellite speakers
# Speakers
Logitech S200 2.1 Speaker Set
# Display
17" TFT Monitor (12ms response)
# CD Device(s)
16x +/- DVD/RW Dual Layer with DVD/CD Burning Software
16x DVD Drive with DVD Viewing software
# Operating System
Windows XP Home SP/2

Other Features
# 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive (black)
# Upto 8x USB 2.0 Ports (6x rear, 2x front)
# Network Ready 10/100 Ethernet Lan
# Serial ATA Capability
# RAID Capability (0, 1, 0+1, JBOD)
# Gigabyte Black Keyboard & Optical Mouse Set
# 4 Year Warranty with First Year Collect & Return (1st Year C/R Parts & Labour & 3 years RTB Labour only)
# FREE 30 Day 24x7 365 days a year telephone technical support
£699 including vat.

Has anybody had any previous experience of ordering off click here ?? Or does anybody know of a better desktop pc I could get for that price?

ade.h 18:12 01 Dec 05

I must be out of touch because I've not heard of Vantage. I always self-build, but if I wanted off-the-peg, I would go for fairly well-known, stable and profitable brand that is likely to be around for the duration of the warranty. Nothing is certain of course - just look at Tiny, Carrera, and so on - but I can't see Dell, Mesh, Evesham, et al dissapearing tomorrow.

I would try to find out more about the company before spending a substantial amount of money. Vantage *could* be very good, but I don't know.

ade.h 18:13 01 Dec 05

It does look like a good on-paper spec though; 400w PSU and 1GB RAM is impressive.

prong 18:15 01 Dec 05

Yeah that's what is proving a hard decision for me. The Specs are very impressive but I have not heard of them, and google brings up very little, although that could be considered a good thing?

ade.h 18:40 01 Dec 05

Yes, if there aren't to many sites called "I Hate Vantage" then that's not a bad thing! You'll see a lot more criticism of the major names, but that's mostly because they shift an awful lot of boxes, so the number of problems goes up with it.

Does the comany's website state when it was founded? Or have any testimonials? It's illegal (I think) to fake those, so they are a fairly good indicator.

prong 18:51 01 Dec 05

No it does not have any feedback and it says they were founded in 2002.

prong 19:47 01 Dec 05

O.k I have found another computer from another company (that I have not heard of either) which also seems quite impressive.

Packages Gamers 6600GT AMD 64 Socket 939 (3000 , MSI 6600GT 128MB Graphics , Standard Case, XP Home/Service Pack 2 & Bundled Software Installed , 17 " TFT Monitor, 160 GB HD , 1024 DDR Memory , 52 X CD Writer / DVD Combo , No Wireless Network Card ) (remove) £629.65

Same as before really, has anyone heard of/bought off them in the past??

The price also leaves me with a bit of room to upgrade things as well.

Any help is appreciated.

prong 19:49 01 Dec 05

Would help if I put the company name :D

The company is pc option and the website is click here

Any help would be appreciated.

Desert Rat 11:38 02 Dec 05

Took a look at the Vantage web site and was impressed by its layout and offerings. I'm in the market for a new computer and will certainly take a closer look at them, but like prong and ade.h, would like to see some customer feedback on the Company. My searches have also yielded next to nothing on feedabck.

prong 14:37 04 Dec 05

I've got two desktop computer deals that I cannot decide between. A vantage computer and a Pc Option one.

Vantage :

System Case: Vantage Evolution Inspire Case
Power Supply: 400W PSU
Motherboard: Asrock 775TWINS-HDTV Motherboard (Skt 775)
Processor: Intel P4 630 3.0Ghz Skt 775
System Memory: 1Gb DDR400 PC3200 Memory (2x 512Mb)
Hard Drive One: 200Gb Serial ATA150 7200RPM
Hard Drive Two: Please Select
Removeable Storage Drives: Floppy Disc Drive
CD Device One: DVDRW Drive
CD Device Two: DVD Drive
Video Card: GeForce 6600GT 256Mb DDR +DVI/TV PCI-X
Keyboard & Mouse Set: Gigabyte Keyboard & Optical Mouse Set
Speakers: Logitech S200 2.1 Set
Monitor: 17 inch TFT Monitor (12ms)
Operating System: Windows XP Home - OEM
Warranty: Ad-Vantage 1 Yr Collect & Return & 3 Yrs RTB
Build Services: Standard 7 to 10 working days Build
TOTAL (inc VAT): £ 750.78

Pc option :

Item Name Quantity Price Total
Packages AMD 64 Socket 939 (3200 , XP Home/Service Pack 2 & Bundled Software Installed , 17 " TFT Monitor, Radeon X800GTO 256MB , 160 GB HD , 1024 DDR , 2 DVD Drives-Writer & Reader, 5.1 Neutac Speakers
Total £749.41

As you can see, theya re both extremely similar in price. The Vantage monitor has a better response time (12 m/s compared to 16 m/s) and 40gig extra hard drive space, but the Pc Option one has a better graphics card and I think a better processor. It also has surround sound speakers.

I can't decide between the two, any ideas? Has anyone actually heard of/dealt with any of the two companys?

Thanks for any help.

ade.h 15:13 04 Dec 05

Can you give us a link for each model? I'll have look at them both and venture an opinion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…