£699 PC World Quad Core PC

leveblue 10:18 03 Aug 07

I’m going to be buying a new home PC over the next week or so.

Have seen this one advertised at PC World and noted that it has a Intel Quad Processor (Q6600) click here

Cost £699. I have a PC World store just down the road so picking one up and going back should there be a problem would be fairly straight forward. Even though I realise their Tech Guys leave a lot to be desired.

Will be using for home use (i.e. word processing and web browsing) and maybe a few (not shoot-em-up type) games.

Comments welcome.

Totally-braindead 12:51 03 Aug 07

Its a good price, I have to point out that theres no software out there yet that can take advantage of quad core technology, therefore I'm unsure if its any advantage over dual core. The graphics is fairly basic as well - rest of the spec looks ok though.
Only concern I ever have when buying a branded PC is if you decide to upgrade the graphics card later on would you also need to upgrade the power supply?
Having said that, you mention you don't play shoot em up games so the 8300GS would probably do you.
Have you seen a widescreen monitor in use? Reason I ask is I don't like them personally. Pop into your local PC World and try it out with some of the programs and you might see what I mean. You get a band of unused space down either side. Its brilliant for games but look for yourself and see what you think.

Belatucadrus 13:28 03 Aug 07

It's a nice spec at a nice price, but IMHO it's more than you need for what you've suggested as it's main uses. Any base spec PC will do that with plenty to spare.
As usual it's a case if if you like it/want it, then buy it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5