64 bit or 32 bit

Iceman1978 00:04 14 May 04

What do people think about all the talk of the 64bit revolution. Is there any point in buying a new machine with a 32 bit processer? Should we be spending over a 1000 on a machine which will be out of date.

Forum Editor 00:20 14 May 04

this is a subject to which we will return again and again over the coming months.

The first thing to appreciate is that a 32bit machine will continue to function perfectly well, regardless of the coming of 64bit computing. Nothin will happen to change that overnight, and software companies will continue to produce 32 bit products fore as long as there's a substantial market - which I suspect will be for quite a long time to come. The development environment for 64bit programs is almost identical to that for 32bit and it will be relatively easy to produce versions for both.

By all means buy into 64bit technology if you feel inclined - you can get an evaluation copy of the 64bit version of WinXP now, although beware - it will only run with an AMD 64bit Opteron or 64bit Athlon processor, the 64bit Intel Itanium processor isn't currently supported.

ste_bla 00:54 14 May 04

Any PC you buy will be out of date before you've had it a week!

Pearly Gates |X|X| 20:17 14 May 04

We will soon have processors the size of a potato waffle, the number of pins is now horrendous and there will be even more pins later in the year. I can see us all wearing our processors in a backpack before long.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:40 14 May 04

'Bigger and Bigger
We will soon have processors the size of a potato waffle, the number of pins is now horrendous and there will be even more pins later in the year. I can see us all wearing our processors in a backpack before long.'....and most people will still only be using them for word.

G

Forum Editor 22:52 14 May 04

and to some people it's quite irresistible. That's a good thing of course, because in the main it's those people who can't keep their hands off the latest spangly whirly MK11 who drive the technology industries forward. Most computer users would be able to do their work with a computer that would be considered almost antideluvian when compared to the latest models, but that won't do. As a species we love innovation; show me a gizmo that enables you to do something faster, or with sound and colour added, plus a few little lights, and access to a satellite and I'll show you a queue that goes around the block.

There are situations where 64bit computing power will be very useful of course. If you're involved in computer aided engineering, or you're a professional digital video editor, or are involved in monitoring the earth's seismic activities you're going to love the 64bit edition of WindowsXP, with its ability to handle 16Gigabytes of RAM and two 64bit processors.

We're moving into the realms of what would have been called supercomputing only a few short years ago, and 9 out of every 10 people who own a computer will never even scratch the surface of the 64bit computing power that will nevertheless be sitting on their desks in the not too distant future. Already, the machine that you use to access this forum is many times more powerful that the computer on board the first manned lunar lander, and yet we regularly see complaints in the forum about "slow" machines.

I'm sure that within two years (three at the most) we'll all be using 64bit machines with 64bit software and 2 gigabytes of RAM, and whinging when it takes all of a tenth of a second for Word 2006 to load that letter to the council asking why the wheely bin wasn't emptied on time last Tuesday.

simonp1 01:11 15 May 04

I think the main point is what are u doing with them. As gandalf pointed out, for word its totally pointless, but for other aspects it could be worth it...As im a gamer, i would see some benifits from it..so personally i am building a system for 64 bit

ste_bla 01:32 15 May 04

I have no doubt in a few years the only new computers will be 64bit HOWEVER i strongly dissagree that "within two years.. we'll all be using 64bit machines with 64bit software" due to the fact that people including myself are still using computer under the 1ghz barriers and win98.

So if we went by your views then we would all atleast be using XP due to the fact that all other MS O/S are over 2/3 years old, is that whats happening in the world no!

In many cases i unless your using CAD software or playing games then there is no need for current computers and esp not 64bit ones!

I mean most people excluding games/graphic designers just surf the web write letters not much else. I mean you can write html perefectly fine on a 500mhz machine just as easily on a 2.5ghz machine so whats the point?

Though i am glad of people such as yourself wanting the latest toys it means the slower "outdated" software/hardware is cheaper YAY

Anyone who reads this just do me one favour and think - do i really need this state of art pc thats gunna loose value faster than a brick out of an airplane OR can i get a cheaper alternative and save for my future and/or pay my mortagage off faster so i have more money in the long run?

I think everyone needs some downtime and take it easy so office runs a second slower on my pc who cares does it make a difference in the long run no JUST RELAX PPL

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:37 15 May 04

I tend to agree with ste_bla, most computer users do not use more than 5% of their computer's ability. It always brings a wry smile to my lips when people start running around like headless chickens when the name 'Longhorn' is mentioned. A 350Mhz computer will open Word as fast as a 3200 and that is what counts.

G

Stuartli 14:06 16 May 04

See CustomerWatch in the new issue of PC Advisor.

computernerdiamnot 17:09 16 May 04

At the moment the prices are so high and yet there is no software really around to benefit from it. I would wait for a bit and see what and when games/applications come out then review it from there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…