5.1 surround headphones purchase

Adam Patrick 10:22 09 Apr 09

Hi

Am planning on buying a pair of 5.1 Surround Headphones for gaming.

Was wondering if any normal 5.1 Surround Headphones would be great for gaming, eg say fromn a local Hi-Fi shop (am assuming Hi-Fi shops sell 5.1 Surrouond headphones but not sure), or would I need a pair specifically designed for gaming ?

Any help would be appreciated

wee eddie 11:34 09 Apr 09

I think that you will be wasting your money.

Because the position of the phones does not alter, in relation to the ear, as you turn your head. There is absolutely no advantage in using phones other than stereo ones.

Also, the .1 bit is pointless.

pchelper001 16:48 09 Apr 09

I have found them pretty appalling. Basically it means that all the speakers are jammed into the phones next to each other, so you can't really tell where it came from in surround. Wee Eddie's advice is pretty spot on :)

Kevscar1 18:56 09 Apr 09

I have to have headphones so the wife can hear the telly.
Recently bought 7.1 surround sound Steel Series from PC World.
The sound quality is amazing.

AL47 19:57 09 Apr 09

its a gimmick

you are only going to get stereo sound, saying that my hfi-780s are not to bad for simulating surround sound, only simulted tho

wee eddie 03:52 10 Apr 09

You can buy "Cans" right up to £350, and possibly more, but between £50 and £100 should pick up every nuance of sound that your PC produces.

Kevscar1 08:52 10 Apr 09

These are the ones I have

click here

Adam Patrick 15:29 10 Apr 09

Hi, thanks for all advice

My budget would be ne more than £100.

I am thinking of going for this cheap but well reviewed pair in Amazon. Would you recommend these or are there likely to be better price/performance 5.1's around?

<A HREF="click here">Click here</A>

I haven't found many good "tests" or "comparisons" websites for 5.1 surround phones. Was wondering if anyone would know of any?

GaT7 15:21 11 Apr 09

If you can wait for the offer to return, a Creative Fatal1ty Gamer Headset was being sold for under £20 at Dell click here.

I think Play & PCWorld also had them for under £20 not so long ago. User reviews click here & click here. But probably something to avoid if you're something of an 'audiophile', or need premium sound & worksmanship. G

GaT7 16:13 11 Apr 09

I guess my logic with the Creative's is that you'll only be spending a small amount on headphones that could be good enough for you.

If they aren't, sell them on at a small loss (or none?), & you haven't lost very much of your £100 budget. G

GaT7 19:47 15 Apr 09

Just a heads up to say Scan click here are doing Steel Series (click here) gaming headphones ranging from £28 ro £72.

For free delivery: click here or click here. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5