50Hz or 100Hz

FRANKMAC 17:23 11 Dec 03

I know this subject is not PC related, but i know there are knowledgebale poelpe in here, so here goes........

I am thinking of buying a 28" widescreen tv.

Is there a considerable difference between the quality on 100Hz or 50 Hz Tv, most of my viewing is done via Sky Digital Satelite Box, would this improve picture quality?

Ant thiughts would be greatly appreciated.

Mac

bremner 17:30 11 Dec 03

Yes the quality of 100Hz is better than 50Hz, best advice as always is view both and decide if you want to pay the extra.

Stuartli 17:58 11 Dec 03

You are less likely, just as with a monitor, to suffer flickering with the higher refresh rate.

However, in the early days of (Philips) 100MHz TVs some people had problems and went back to standard models.

In the case of monitors the 85MHz refresh rate serves the needs of 99 per cent of users, whilst a handful of others can cope with 72-75MHz.

Jester2K II 18:02 11 Dec 03

I can't see any difference between my 50 hz one and a friends 100 hz one.

Although i DO notice a huge difference between my flat screen model and a neighbour non-flat screen version.

oresome 19:06 11 Dec 03

TV's are one of those rare consumer items that you can actually see working at most retailers, so you can trust your eyes. The aerial distribution systems in most showrooms leave something to be desired producing patterning and ringing effects (similar to ghosting) and the picture obtainable in your own home will often be better than that on show. The broadcast signal is transmitted at a rate of 25 complete frames per second made up of two part frames which are sent sequentially and interlaced. I presume 100Hz TV's store the information and use it again to refresh the screen at twice the broadcast rate. If your not bothered by flicker with a standard TV, you probably won't see any difference.

FRANKMAC 20:36 11 Dec 03

Many thanks for your comments - looks like i'll be doing some shopping around.

Mac

jo nathan 23:42 11 Dec 03

Very difficult to see the difference in the shops. I think you have to decide what you are mostly going to watch.

If it is sports, I recommend a tv where you have the ability to adjust the refresh rate yourself because some tv's blur fast motion. But for films and general transmission a good 100 hz set wins hands down. A word of caution though... I have had 2x Toshiba picture frames. They look fantastic, but each broke down within 3 months. So now I have switched to Panasonic who do a similar style. The narrow frame makes the picture look much bigger but the set only has the stamp of a regular 32" tv.

Good luck though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…