40 inch tv set for 80 quid?

Armchair 21:51 07 Oct 10

It's Play.com. Must be a mistake, right?

click here

Do you think they'd actually send them out if someone ordered one at that price?

Miké 21:58 07 Oct 10

from their T&C's....

"While we try and ensure that all prices on our website are accurate, errors may occur. If we discover an error in the price of goods you have ordered we will inform you as soon as possible and give you the option of reconfirming your order at the correct price or cancelling it. If we are unable to contact you we will treat the order as cancelled. If you cancel and you have already paid for the goods, you will receive a full refund."

Armchair 22:00 07 Oct 10

Oh well........... Gonna be a lot of cancelled orders.

Armchair 22:09 07 Oct 10

It's gone already.

spuds 13:10 08 Oct 10

Didn't Comet or Argos have a similar 'discount' problem. I know Kodak did ;o))

interzone55 13:34 08 Oct 10

Just to clear this up, no retailer has to sell anything at an advertised price, it is merely an "invitation to treat"

You can try to report something like this to Trading Standards or the ASA but they're unlikely to take any action if it's an obvious mistake, such as the decimal point in the wrong place.

spuds 13:54 08 Oct 10

" no retailer has to sell anything at an advertised price".

But they 'might' do if they accept payment, as was the highly disputed case with the Kodak DX3700 cameras. Even top legal eagles from both sides of the pond, and other interested parties were not able to agree on that, and I do believe it still remains a 'grey' area in UK law today.

john bunyan 15:37 08 Oct 10

You and alan14 are both right. The advertised price is an "invitation to treat" but title to the goods passes on acceptance of payment by the seller. The situation is different in the case of some commodities where even a verbal contract can be enforcable if the trading rules are written in such a way.This applies more to commercial buyers and sellers of such commodities as soya beans eyc.

STREETWORK 21:25 08 Oct 10

Did I miss a bargin? storey of my life...

Armchair 09:18 09 Oct 10

No, you didn't miss a bargain. The set I linked to had an RRP of £819.99. As other posters have said, there's no way they'll actually sell them for £79.99.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…