3wk old HP DV9605 back to the shop and...

grumpy-git 12:23 21 Jan 08

the assistant says he can't see a problem with a jerky picture when a dvd is played.

I know a lot has been said about the 9605ea on this forum, so we don't need to repeat it all again.

Anyway, I tried getting the problem sorted via HP website support. Took them 7 days to reply - so not impressed there (from 9th Jan to 16th Jan)

Since then, I have followed HP support instructions to do all sort of things like flash the bios with an update, update video drivers, download 3rd party codecs. Uninstall & re-install Quickplay, update Widows etc. but none of this fixed the problem.

Then they said it might be the dvd unit, but I disproved that theory by copying across an mpg file of a tv programme & that was jerky as well.

Next it was "possibly a fault with the hard drive" so I followed instructions to run a test on that - no fault found.

Then instructed to run a restore to wipe the pc & reset to original settings. Still no improvement.

So, I'm not impressed with HP support & their responses, and the pc has had to be left at the shop for checking "for a week". When I questioned them about it, they said they needed to check with HP for new drivers etc. which was when I told them I had already done all that.

Then the assistant called for what was probably the manager or supervisor, and they said they would probably ring me later today or tomorrow.

So, that's the position as of now.

g-g

jack 15:07 21 Jan 08

Well if that is the advie HP are giving you for this probel I would thing your were talking to the printer man- and stuff the shop what do they know.

From what I can recall jerky pictures when running movies is always shortage of RAM memory and/or scratch disk.

Stuartli 15:10 21 Jan 08

Have you installed all the audio and video codecs that may be required?

The Standard version of K-Lite audio and codec packs will be a start:

click here

If you are using Windows Media Player, ensure that All File Types (including DVD) are Enabled.

jack 15:24 21 Jan 08

Trawling my hints and tips files I came across this -
It has to be sometihng I have downloaded some time so I cannot vouch for its relevance
-----------------------o0o----------------------

Jerky playback ofCD/DVD's
Do this
Your drive has probably been set in PIO mode by Windows whereas it should be in DMA.
In device manager uninstall the Secondary IDE Controller and reboot the pc.
All should then be well.

I've noticed that this problem crops up quite frequently on various forums.

grumpy-git 15:33 21 Jan 08

Stuartli,

This is one set of "fixes" I was given to try & I think it included your codec pack. Oh, I do remember the sp35074.exe gave me the message "your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update. cancelled 9996".

Copy of some of the HP support instructions below:-

Download and install latest Bios Update from the following URL:

click here

NVIDIA nForce Chipset Driver:

click here

NVIDIA GeForce Series updated Video Driver :

click here

NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller Update:

click here

Installation Instructions

1. Download the SoftPaq .EXE file to a directory on your hard drive.
2. Execute the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.

Download and install latest Windows Updates from the following URL:

click here

NOTE: Clicking the link may give an error indicating it is invalid.
Copy and paste the entire link in a new browser window.

NOTE: The URL above will take you to a non HP Web site. HP does
not control and is not responsible for information outside
of the HP Web site.

Download and install codecs from the following URL:

click here

click here

NOTE: Clicking the link may give an error indicating it is invalid.
Copy and paste the entire link in a newbrowser window.

NOTE: The URL above will take you to a non HP Web site. HP does
not control and is not responsible for information outside
of the HP Web site.

If the issue persists, Use the below link to enhance performance of your system anddelete

temporary files and directories.

click here

id=reg_R1002_USEN

That's it for now,
g-g

grumpy-git 15:40 21 Jan 08

Jack,

Just noticed your posting after replying to Stuartli. One of the things I was told to do by HP was within device manager, and it included removing or deleting something like the dvd drive and then the ide controllers.

Unfortunately the other e-mails with more "fixes" are in the backup from the laptop & I cannot access them.

g-g

grumpy-git 12:31 22 Jan 08

The shop just called back, they say they have been playing it with different dvds and can't see a problem.

They also say "no problems have been reported with the machine" (official statement from wherever)

I said "it's stalemate then, we disagree, where do we go from here". The guy at the shop seemed stuck.

I told him dvds play perfectly on an old nx6110 laptop so they should play just as well on the 9605.

He is investigating further!

Now if the shop drag this out to 28 days, after that can they say you cannot exchange or have a refund?

So far, I have remained very polite, but firm with the shop staff. It doesn't mean to say I'm not very annoyed though!

g-g

grumpy-git 13:22 22 Jan 08

This went down like a lead balloon, just had my HP Newsgram appear in my e-mail, entitled "Jumpstart your New Year to a Great Start!"

I tried that with a new HP computer, bought on Dec 31st.

Sorry, I know it's not relevant to this topic - just bad timing under the circumstances.

garryd 19:57 22 Jan 08

look lads i cant stress anymore ,theres nothing you can do the dvd playback is product based and is not a software issue ! i took mine back got an upgrade to the 9646 ,but lots of people took back there 9605 back as they all got those poxy line in the screen when watching a dvd in full screen ! nobody has been able to rectify the falt with all these things your trying ! so dont bother just take it back!

grumpy-git 20:45 22 Jan 08

garryd,

It is back at the shop I bought it from. The point is, they are saying they can see nothing wrong with it.

I know there is a problem & you know there is a problem.

g-g

garryd 21:30 22 Jan 08

mate if you lived near me i would go back in with ya and make em fcuk ! they got to give a refund mate the dvd play back is awfull ! get hold of a sopranos dvd ! mine looked terrible playing one of them!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac