3g broadband Ayr/Prestwick

wjrt 21:08 24 Aug 09

looked into this about 6/9 months ago and even pcworld and carphone warehouse salespeople were not recommending due to patchy coverage and cost as if no 3g then reverted to gprs and then very slow. is anyone using in this area and how do you get on otherwise any recommendations for broadband without a bt phone line

sunnystaines 09:26 25 Aug 09

look at tmobile if not in fast broadband area it reverts to old style modem speed better than none

check their street coverage map of GB
click here

birdface 12:27 25 Aug 09

Virginmedia you do not need a phone line for their cable broadband.

sunnystaines 16:30 25 Aug 09

virgin is good but due to finance problem no longer expanding, they have been going to do this for ages in our area.

WolframBlitzen 22:04 26 Aug 09

Seriously, 3's customer service and retail support is a JOKE.

They barely speak English, their “Tech support” team are your usual Bangladesh call centre where the operators make 50p a week just to follow a script on the screen and not actually have a clue what they are talking about, and should anything go wrong there, they fob you off back to the store you got the mobile broadband stick from. I know this because I’m unfortunate enough to work in a store that sells 3 mobile broadband

Whenever there is a problem with their network or with an update they are forcing out, they NEVER admit it, and I have actually said to a 3 call centre operative: “Look, Mate. We’ve had 20 customers today [Yes, the actual figure at that point was 20] with different modems, different laptops and different operating systems all with the same problem. Are you SERIOUSLY trying to tell me that the problems are all the computers?!” at which point he responded with “it is a possibility”...Idiot.

There have been instances where 3 have referred a customer who has been with them for over 6 months back to the store to get a full refund on the modem and all line rental because the customer wasn’t happy with their service. When I called 3 to query this and told them to stop pawning their problems off onto ME (after they confirmed they did in fact say that)the guy actually started to say “But the distance selling act states that if the customer isn’t happy with their purchase, they can return it” to which my reply was “Okay, One, the rest of that line is ‘within 14 days’ and Two, that law applies to orders and items that you don’t buy from a shop. Guess what? This is a shop! You are just trying to pass the customer off onto me” I’m not sure if I got that law right but it really doesn’t matter. I was “slightly annoyed” about what they were trying to do

So yeah, unless you want awful service and patchy coverage, I would avoid three.

Give T-Mobile a shot. I have found their customer support and retail care from them is fantastic, I love dealing with them.

-The Blitz Man

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…